Barbara pulled out her Glenwood (college cooperative) recipe file again for this Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole. And it is another winner.
She actually made it on a whim because she had a bunch of white sandwich buns left over from a birthday party. I think our Grandma Kuhn would be proud of her for not wasting them.
Barbara served this casserole for lunch paired with some fruit and sliced tomatoes. It’s now a part of her weekly meal plan on the same weeks she makes biscuits and gravy as she usually only uses a half pound of sausage for her gravy. Now the other half pound can be used in this dish.
Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
This recipe is for an 8-inch x 8-inch baking dish but if you have a larger family (or just a hungry family) or want it for a get-together, it is easily doubled and can fit in a 9-inch x 13-inch or similar size baking dish.
Want some other recipes from Barbara’s Glenwood collection? Check these out.
- ½ lb. ground pork sausage
- 1¼ cups milk
- 4 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup white bread, cubed
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F; spray an 8 x 8 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Brown and drain ground sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, dry mustard and salt.
- Stir in cheese, bread cubes and sausage.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until lightly browned and knife comes out clean.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Linking up to Weekend Potluck.