The entire family will love these easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins which come together quickly and make enough to freeze for later or share with friends. Once you take a bite of these moist pumpkin muffins, you’ll never need another recipe. You can also make these into mini pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
It’s Megan and I’m so excited to share one of my all-time favorite recipes with you! I’m actually famous for making these tasty little treats. I originally published this recipe on my other blog here. The recipe over there is the original one (makes just 1 1/2 dozen regular size muffins).
These Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins are so good, I decided to double the recipe when posting it here. The other reason for doubling it is that pumpkin comes in 15 ounce cans and the original recipe calls for 8 ounces of pumpkin! So it’s just easier to double the recipe than to have leftover pumpkin.
Mini Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
When I make these, I like to mix up the batter and then before adding the chocolate chips, I separate it into two equal amounts in separate bowls. In the first bowl, I add a cup of mini chocolate chips and make mini muffins. In the other bowl, I add a cup of regular semi-sweet chocolate chips (or dark chocolate chips – whatever I have on hand) and make regular-size muffins.
We have another yummy pumpkin muffin recipe on the blog if you are looking for options. Try Mama Griggs’s Pumpkin Bran Muffins (with chocolate chips).
Ingredient List for Moist Pumpkin Muffins
- Large Eggs
- Canned Pumpkin
- Vegetable Oil
- White Sugar
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Ground Cinnamon
- Chocolate Chips (regular or mini)
- This is a dessert recipe that uses pumpkin puree. Pumpkin Puree is the same thing as canned pumpkin. Do not use a can of pumpkin pie filling. Pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling are not the same.
- You can make these muffins as full size or as mini muffins. The cooking time is less for the minis (only 12 to 15 minutes).
- Feel free to use muffin liners or you can grease up the muffin tin really well and go without a liner.
- This pumpkin muffin recipe makes 3 dozen muffins.
- Mini chocolate chips are perfect for this recipe if you have those on hand. They are particularly cute when you put mini chocolate chips in a mini-sized pumpkin muffin.
- Make extra of these delicious pumpkin muffins with chocolate chips. They freeze very easily so you can make once and enjoy for a while.
- This recipe using pumpkin puree uses an entire 15 oz. can of pumpkin which means zero waste. Score!
- Check out our Amazon Store for our favorite kitchen items.
How to Make Easy Pumpkin Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Step By Step Instructions
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk wet ingredients – pumpkin, eggs, sugar and oil.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate large bowl – flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir the two mixtures; add chocolate chips.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 16 to 20 minutes. Use muffin liners or a well-greased muffin tin.
Let muffins cool completely on a wire rack. Place in an airtight container or a zip-lock bag.
The full recipe and ingredient amounts for Easy Pumpkin Muffins with Chocolate Chips can be found below in the recipe card.
Can I freeze pumpkin muffins?
Yes, freezing your extra pumpkin muffins is a great idea. To freeze, place the completely cooled muffins in a resealable plastic bag. Remove all the excess air. Place on a flat surface in the freezer so that the muffins are in a single layer. Once frozen, you can remove one, two or as many muffins as you wish from the freezer. Let the pumpkin muffins thaw at room temperature before eating.
- Substitute milk chocolate chips or butterscotch chips for semi sweet chocolate chips, or omit chips entirely.
- Add a variety or pumpkin pie spices such as ground nutmeg, cloves, allspice or ginger. Sometimes I use half cinnamon and half pumpkin pie spice.
- Try these flourless peanut butter pumpkin muffins.
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
Looking for more canned pumpkin dessert recipes? Try any of these favorites:
- Pumpkin Waffles
- Pumpkin Crunch
- Grandma’s Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Frozen Pumpkin Dessert
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Pudding
Favorite Fall Desserts
Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins – A Moist Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips mini, semi-sweet, dark chocolate or any combination
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, pumpkin and oil until smooth.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add to pumpkin mixture and mix well.*
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill greased or paper-line muffin cups 3/4 full.**
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until muffins test done (toothpick comes out clean).
- If you are making mini muffins, bake for 12-15 minutes or until muffins test done.