With a crisp topping and a dollop of whipped cream, this Pumpkin Crunch – made with a cake mix – is a perfect dessert for a crowd.
Pumpkin Crunch Recipe
This recipe is sometimes called Pumpkin Crunch Cake or Pumpkin Crunch Bars. We think it should be called the Best Ever Pumpkin Crunch Dessert of all time.
Easy Pumpkin Crunch Dessert with yellow cake mix is a rather simple pumpkin dessert to make. The ingredients include canned pumpkin, eggs, evaporated milk, sugar, cinnamon, cake mix and butter. This really is a pumpkin dump cake as opposed to a traditional cake recipe.
Instead of making the same old boring pumpkin pie, try this Pumpkin Crunch instead. You won’t be disappointed.
This is one of Barbara’s favorites recipes. She lost the recipe a couple years ago, but recently found it again.
A co-worker shared this recipe with her years and years ago. Even though Barbara hasn’t seen her for almost 10 years, she thinks of her each time she puts this Pumpkin Crunch in the oven.
How To Make Pumpkin Crunch Bars Recipe
Mix together pumpkin, eggs, sugar, evaporated milk, and cinnamon. Pour into a prepared 13×9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle cake mix over pumpkin pie mixture. Pour melted butter over top. Bake for 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.
For full pumpkin crunch dessert with yellow cake mix recipe, scroll to the bottom of this post.
Notes About Pumpkin Crunch Dump Cake
- It’s called Pumpkin Crunch because the butter forms a nice crunchy top over the cake mix.
- The topping of this dessert reminds us a bit of the crunchy topping of our Peach Batter Cake. We know it sounds odd to just sprinkle the dry cake mix over the top of the wet ingredients, but we promise it works! Just be sure to evenly distribute the melted butter (use a bit more butter if you have large dry spots of cake mix).
- You know what would make this even better? Toasted nuts, praline almonds, or these cinnamon glazed pecans sprinkled on top of the dollop of whipped cream!
- You could swap out different types of boxed cake mix if you prefer. A spiced cake mix would be delicious!
Love pumpkin? Try our favorites including Pumpkin Woopie Pies, Grandma’s Pumpkin Chiffon Pie, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins, Pumpkin Waffles, Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Pudding and Frozen Pumpkin Dessert.
With a crisp topping and a dollop of whipped cream, this Pumpkin Crunch - made with a cake mix - is a perfect dessert for a crowd.
- 1 15 oz. can pure pumpkin
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 16.5 oz. boxed yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin, eggs, sugar, evaporated milk and cinnamon; pour into pan.
- Sprinkle the yellow cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture
- Pour the melted butter evenly over top (if there are any big dry spots, use a little extra melted butter).
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.