This Low-Carb Cream of Celery soup will warm you up on a cold winter’s day without the heavy carbs. It’s made up of easy refrigerator and pantry staples including butter, heavy cream, onions, celery and chicken broth. Flour is replaced with riced cauliflower straight from the freezer to give this soup some body and creaminess.
Keto Celery Soup
Barbara whipped this up when we got our first snowstorm of the season. She bought a bunch of celery that was close to going to the dark side. This recipe came together in less than 30 minutes, and the leftovers got better as they sat in the refrigerator. Have leftover soup? Pour leftover soup into pint-sized mason jars for easy travel to work. We made some simple substitutions so that this soup will fit into a keto-friendly, low -carb or gluten-free diet.
- Frozen, riced cauliflower
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Salt and Black Pepper
Riced cauliflower is quickly becoming one of our favorite ingredients, because it is readily available at most grocery stores, including Aldi (our favorite). We use it in our Low-Carb Mexican Taco Soup, Low-Carb Tuscan Soup and Low-Carb Beef Fried Cauliflower Rice. Riced cauliflower gives soup a heartiness without the carbs.
How to Make Low-Carb Cream of Celery Soup
Step by Step Instructions
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add diced onions and celery, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Reserve 1 to 2 cups of veggies to add back in at the end.
- Add frozen riced cauliflower and minced garlic, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Next, add chicken broth, heavy cream, salt and pepper, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are completely soft.
- Puree in a food processor until smooth. Add in reserved vegetables, and serve.
Full recipe for this keto soup is at the end of this post.
- The amount of diced celery doesn’t need to be exact. The bunch that we had in our refrigerator ended up being about 6 cups.
- Don’t throw out the leafy ends of the celery. Chop them up and add them for added flavor.
- Omit onions, if desired.
- You will want to taste the soup and add more salt and black pepper to taste. Bland soup is not good!
- You can use fresh garlic that you mince yourself. I keep a jar of minced garlic or minced roasted garlic in my refrigerator at all times. Just for the sake of easiness.
- If you like a completely smooth soup, do not reserve any of the cooked veggies. On the flip side, if you like a really chunky cream soup, reserve more than the 1 to 2 cups, and add it after you puree the soup.
- Be sure to use low sodium chicken broth. If you have regular, be sure to reduce the amount of salt for the recipe.
- Use a food processor or immersion blender to puree. The soup is very hot. Put a towel over the top of the food processor. Hold down while blending. This prevents a spray out and burn.
What kind of soup can you eat on a keto diet?
These soups are made with ingredients like riced cauliflower, heavy cream, chicken broth, and flavorful seasonings to keep you satisfied without the extra carbs. Give them a try and warm up on a cold winter’s day while sticking to your keto lifestyle!
More Low Carb Soup Ideas
Low-Carb Cream of Celery Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup diced onion (optional)
- 1 head chopped celery (about 6 cups)
- 12 oz. riced cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 14 oz. chicken broth (low sodium)
- 16 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add diced onions and celery, and cook for 10 minutes of until translucent. Reserve 1-2 cups of cooked vegetable mixture to add back in at the end if desired.
- Stir in riced cauliflower and garlic, and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add chicken broth, whipping cream, salt and black pepper. Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are completely soft. Do not let it come to a full boil.
- Pour carefully into a food processor, and blend until smooth. Add reserved vegetables back to the soup and stir. Add additional salt to taste.
- This soup option can be eaten as is on a cold winter’s day or used as an ingredient in your favorite low carb casserole.
- Check your refrigerator and pantry. You probably already have most of these ingredients—celery, heavy cream, chicken broth, butter, salt and pepper.
- Our keto soup has riced cauliflower in it for heartiness.
- Looking for low carb soup ideas? We’ve got you covered with Low Carb Tuscan Soup and Low Carb Taco Soup.
- The nutritional information below is auto-calculated and can vary depending on the products used.