Darn If I Know Cake is one of those recipes with random ingredients that comes together for a delightful family-pleasing dessert. This cherry almond dump cake with coconut goes together in the pan it’s baked in. That means no extra dishes to wash. Canned cherry pie filling and crushed pineapple are mixed to create a decadent fruit filling, while a cake mix, almonds, shredded coconut and margarine form the ultimate crisp on top.
Cherry Almond Dump Cake with Coconut
This recipe belongs to our Aunt Helen, and I found it nicely typed up in Grandma’s wooden recipe box. We’ve also seen this called a DarnED if I Know Cake and it’s really similar to a dump cake with fruit pie filling. Here’s The Country Cook’s Cherry Dump Cake recipe!
I was intrigued since I’d never seen a version of this type of dump cake with crushed pineapple. I whipped it up for New Year’s Eve, and was pleasantly surprised that my oldest daughter fell in love with it. As a bonus, I had all the ingredients in the pantry and refrigerator so no extra trip to the grocery store!
I used a white Christmas funfetti cake mix that I found on mark down at Aldi. (Who else loves mark downs?) But, you could use any white or yellow cake mix that you have on hand. You could even change up the pie filling for blueberry or something else of your personal preference.
How to Make Darn if I Know Cake
Full recipe is at the bottom of this post.
How to Make Darn if I Know Cake:
- In a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish, mix together cherry pie filling and undrained crushed pineapple.
- Sprinkle one box of dry cake mix over the filling.
- Next, sprinkle sliced almonds and shredded coconut on top of the cake mix.
- Top with sliced margarine.
- Bake until golden brown.
For the full recipe for Darn If I Know Dump Cake, scroll to the bottom of this post.
We always keep dry cake mixes in the pantry. We use them for so much more than the recipe on the box. Some of our favorites are
- Grandma’s Fanciful Fudge Cake
- Triple Chocolate Cake Mix
- Pistachio Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Crunch
- Yellow Cake Mix Gooey Bars
- Easy Cake Mix Caramel Bars
- Cake Mix Cinnamon Rolls
Linking up to Meal Plan Monday
Linking up to Weekend Potluck.
Darn If I Know Cake (Cherry Almond Dump Cake)
- 20 oz. crushed pineapple (do NOT drain)
- 21 oz. cherry pie filling
- 15.25 oz. dry cake mix (white or yellow)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 sticks margarine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray
- In the 13x9 inch baking dish, mix undrained crushed pineapple and cherry pie filling.
- Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over cherry pie filling; sprinkle with coconut and sliced almonds.
- Slice margine in thin slices, and arrange evenly over cake mixture.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until golden brown.