The best part of this Easy Cherry Crisp, aside from the flavor, is that you can make it with a handful of staple ingredients. Using fresh cherries, this fruit crisp is a perfect summer dessert. Serve this homemade fruit dessert with fresh whipped cream or a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Note: We use referral links to products we think you might use or enjoy.
Fruit Crisp Using Fresh Cherries
Nothing says summer like a homemade fruit crisp, cobbler or pie made with fresh, in-season fruit, like this cherry version.
Our parents have a couple cherry trees in their yard and Dad recently brought Barbara a big bowl of cherries – already pitted (thanks Mom). She could not find a recipe for a fresh cherry dessert in any of her old cookbooks, so she channeled her inner Grandma.
After asking herself WWGD – What Would Grandma Do – it came to her. Grandma would find a recipe and modify it with what ingredients she had on hand. So Barbara dug through Grandma Kuhn’s recipe box and found a recipe for an apple crisp then modified it for cherries!
The great thing about this Easy Cherry Crisp is, other than the cherries, the rest of the ingredients are ones that most folks always have on hand – flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg and butter! We would definitely classify this recipe as an old-fashioned version of cherry crisp. The fact that it’s a cherry crisp recipe without oats makes it unique too!
Serve this cherry crisp with another one of our Grandma’s recipes – her homemade vanilla ice cream! Honestly, just serve this with ANY kind of vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream or a dollop of Cool Whip!
How to Make Classic Cherry Crisp in an 8×8 inch pan:
Full recipe for cherry crisp with fresh cherries can be found at the end of this post.
- Mix cherries with 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Pour the cherry mixture into a greased 8×8-inch pan.
- Combine the remaining ingredients – except for butter. The mixture should be crumbly, then sprinkle over cherries.
- Pour melted butter over the mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until top is golden brown and cherry mixture bubbly.
Our Favorite Fruit Desserts
Looking for more cherry recipes?
Easy Cherry Crisp
- 5 to 6 cups cherries washed and pitted
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 unbeaten egg
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cherries with 1/4 cup sugar (reserving 1 cup).
- Pour cherries into a greased 8x8 inch pan.
- Combine flour, remaining 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and unbeaten egg; mix until blended and crumbly.
- Sprinkle mixture over cherries. Pour melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- The great thing about this Easy Cherry Crisp is, other than the cherries, the rest of the ingredients are ones that most folks always have on hand - flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg and butter!
- Serve this cherry crisp with another one of our Grandma's recipes - her homemade vanilla ice cream! Honestly, just serve this with ANY kind of vanilla ice cream, or whipped cream or a dollop of Cool Whip!
- Love cherries? Try our Cherry Batter Cake, Glazed Cherry Bars or Grandma's Cherry Fluff!
Linking up to Meal Plan Monday.
We are linking up to the Weekend Potluck.
Referral links are used in this post.