Cheesy Summer Squash and Zucchini Casserole is a great use of all of the summer garden bounty. With a buttery, crunchy top, you can use yellow squash or zucchini or both to make this perfect side dish.
This recipe is a true winner. The casserole uses the gobs and gobs of zucchini and summer squash from our summer gardens. You can strictly use either zucchini or yellow summer squash, but we like using a combination.
This particular day, Barbara had two small yellow squash (summer squash) and two larger zucchini. Once the squash and zucchini are cut up into small pieces, you should have between 4 and 6 cups of diced vegetables.
Cheesy Summer Squash and Zucchini Casserole
The combination of the squash/zucchini, crackers and butter is a match made in heaven. The top is buttery and crunchy and the inside of this casserole is cheesy goodness. The crushed crackers are added to the top of the squash and zucchini mixtures and THEN the melted butter is poured over the top!
This Cheesy Summer Squash and Zucchini Casserole is a great side for any grilled meat option, especially our Easiest Grilled Chicken Ever!
- 2 pounds 4-6 cups summer squash or zucchini (a combination can be used)
- 1 Tablespoon onion flakes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups crushed crackers
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and dice summer squash/zucchini. Boil in salted water until fork tender. Drain.
- Mix in onion flakes, cheese and eggs.
- Pour into a 13 x 9-inch pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the crushed crackers over the casserole.
- Pour the melted butter over top the cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Linking up to Weekend Potluck. Check out all the great recipes!