This Old-Fashioned Cheesy Cabbage Casserole recipe is a creamy, cheesy side dish with a crunchy topping that everyone will enjoy. This comforting side dish features a list of common ingredients for easy prep including cream of celery soup, mayonnaise, butter, milk, shredded cheddar cheese, cabbage (of course), and cornflakes for the perfect crunch.
This cabbage casserole recipe is from the Extension Homemakers Shelby County (Indiana) 1988 Cookbook. We really love this type of old-fashioned cookbook. Everyone submits their favorite everyday (or special occasion) recipes. No fuss, no fancy ingredients, and always family-pleasing.
Cabbage is a great ingredient to use year round. It’s usually inexpensive and one large head can go a long ways. During the summer months, it’s easy to grow your own or can be found at reasonable prices at your local farmers’ market.
The creamy texture comes from a combination of cream of celery soup, mayonnaise and milk. The perfect cheesy flavor is a result of 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, not too much and not too little.
If you like a tangy coleslaw, try our Sweet and Sour Coleslaw.
Barbara brought this Old-Fashioned Cheesy Cabbage Casserole to a recent family dinner and it got rave reviews. This side dish is deliciously creamy and cheesy. We think it is a great alternative to the traditional cheesy potatoes.
Old-Fashioned Cheesy Cabbage Casserole
To save yourself some labor, use the grater disk on your food processor to shred the cabbage. With the food processor, you can grate up a cabbage in under 2 minutes.
This Old-Fashioned Cheesy Cabbage Casserole recipe is a creamy, cheesy side dish with a crunchy topping that everyone will enjoy.
- 4 - 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 2 10.5 oz. cans cream of celery soup
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed cornflakes for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put a stick or margarine or butter in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Put in oven until melted. Remove carefully.
- Sprinkle cornflakes over butter. Add cabbage. (Cabbage should fill the pan and will cook down.)
- Warm celery soup, mayonnaise and milk in microwave for 3 minutes, stirring every minute.
- Pour mixture over cabbage. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and crushed cornflakes.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Linking up to Weekend Potluck!