This Chocolate Zucchini Bread with Mocha Glaze recipe features coffee in both the batter and the glaze to crank up the chocolate flavor. This chocolate zucchini bread is easy to put together for a perfect for brunch or dessert choice.
Zucchini bread is a great way to use the plentiful summertime vegetable, and it is really easy to freeze the loaves to enjoy all year long.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread with Mocha Glaze
We love regular zucchini bread, but this Chocolate Zucchini Bread with Mocha Glaze recipe takes it to a whole new level. The batter has cocoa powder and coffee to up the chocolate flavor. And better yet, it is drizzled with our Grandma’s Mocha icing recipe.
We could eat the mocha glaze with a spoon (Barbara did). She makes loaves and loaves of zucchini bread during the summer months when the farm garden is overflowing with zucchini. To help her waistline, she cuts the loaves in half and then wraps them in plastic wrap and then again in foil, and toss in the freezer. This ensures the family isn’t eating too much at once, and it gives her a quick dessert when friends stop in at the last second.
Serves: 2 loaves
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons coffee
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded or grated zucchini
- Mocha Glaze
- 1 Tablespoon shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Salt, dash
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 6 Tablespoons hot coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9-inch loaf pans with shortening and coat with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add both sugars and mix until well incorporated. Slowly pour in vegetable oil while mixing. Add vanilla, coffee, sour cream, and mix.
- Add in dry ingredients, mixing lightly between each addition. Lastly, add zucchini and mix until just incorporated.
- Pour into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool while preparing icing. Remove from pans after 10 minutes.
- Mocha Glaze:
- Mix together shortening and powdered sugar. Add vanilla, almond extract and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix cocoa powder and coffee. Pour into powdered sugar mixture and beat until smooth.
- Once the bread is cooled, drizzle over bread as desired. Let bread sit to give glaze time to set.