Classic Banana Bread is always a crowd-pleaser and a great way to use your ripe bananas to make a great breakfast or snack option.
Aren’t the best recipes those that you remember from years before? From a family member or a friend.
Barbara has made it her mission to ask friends and family for those beloved recipes that are vivid in her memory.
We went to a small rural high school where our mom actually taught English and Latin so Barbara and I both grew up knowing most of the teachers who eventually taught us in high school.
One summer during high school, Barbara worked for the school’s IT department. One of her co-workers – whose husband was one of our teachers – would bring in this delicious Classic Banana Bread and Barbara sort of fell in love with it.
So during the school year when she would make this bread, Barbara’s co-worker would send two slices wrapped in foil to school with her husband as a treat for her.
Barbara recently asked for the recipe for this Classic Banana Bread. Her memory did not fail.
Classic Banana Bread
This is the perfect solution for those over-ripe bananas siting on the counter OR it might even give you a reason to buy extra bananas next time you’re at the store.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 large or 3 small ripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cream margarine with a mixer, adding sugar gradually.
- Add eggs one at a time, followed by the bananas.
- Add flour mixture to wet mixture.
- Bake in a well greased loaf pan for 45 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.