This Slow Cooker Hummingbird Cake is full of flavor, including banana, pineapple and cinnamon, and is topped with an easy buttercream frosting made with a box of pudding mix! We used a boxed cake mix to create a no-fuss recipe than can be quickly put together and put into the crock pot to bake.
Hummingbird Cake in the Crock Pot
Hummingbird cake is traditionally made with mashed bananas, canned crushed pineapple and cinnamon. This “cheat” version uses boxed cake mix for a quick alternative to the traditional version. The combination of the bananas and pineapple creates a moist, delectable dessert.
This cake tastes perfect on it’s own, or you can top with your favorite buttercream or cream cheese icing. We use a quick cheat buttercream using boxed pudding mix and the recipe is also below.
Using the Slow Cooker to Bake
Did you know you can use your Crock Pot to make a moist, delicious cake without using precious oven space or heating up your kitchen. We live on the family farm in our grandparent’s original farmhouse built in the early 1900s. The house doesn’t have central air conditioning which means using the crock pot is genius in the summer months.
Many Crock Pot cake recipes call for using a cake pan that fits in the crock pot insert. What I love about this Slow Cooker Hummingbird Cake is that you bake the cake directly in the slow cooker insert. Want to know my secret? Use two long pieces of aluminum foil and a slow cooker liner.
Take each piece of foil and fold in half long-wise. Line the inside of the insert with both pieces laying them in opposite directions so that they hang over each side like paddles. Next, you put in the crock pot liner over top the foil. When the cake is done, you use the handles to remove the cake without breaking it. The crockpot liner ensures the cake comes out clean.
Also, be sure to use a kitchen towel or several layers of paper towels to line between the lid and the slow cooker to prevent steam from dripping back on top of the cake.
Once you learn this method, you’ll be tempted to make all your favorite cake recipes this way.
How to Make Slow Cooker Hummingbird Cake
Prep your slow cooker liner as described above. Whisk together oil and eggs, and then add mashed banana and undrained pineapple. Add cake mix, cinnamon and vanilla to wet ingredients and stir until just mixed. Pour batter into prepared Crock Pot liner and line top with towel (see above) before putting on the lid. Cook until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is slightly wet to touch. Remove liner and let cake cool in it. Remove cake and top with frosting (see recipe below).
Full recipe details are below.
Other Cake Recipes
What are some of our favorite cakes? We love these:
- Grandma’s Fanciful Fudge Cake
- Triple Chocolate Cake
- Butterscotch Zucchini Cake
- Vanilla Wafer Banana Cake
- Red Velvet Texas Sheet Cake
As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Slow Cooker Hummingbird Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 8 oz. crushed pineapple do not drain
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 16.5 oz. box cake mix white or yellow
Quick Buttercream Icing
- 3.4 oz. instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare Crockpot insert by creating handles with foil. To do this, take 2 long pieces of aluminum foil (longer than the insert). Fold each piece in half longwise. Arrange in a crisscross pattern inside the crock pot. Line the crock pot with a Slow Cooker Liner over top the aluminum foil. Spray generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and vegetable oil; add pineapple and bananas and mix well.
- Add cinnamon, vanilla and boxed cake mix to the wet mixture, and combine until just mixed.
- Pour into prepared crock pot insert. Place kitchen towel or several layers of paper towel between the lid and the slow cooker to absorb steam.
- Cook on low heat for 2 hours and 45 minutes, or until cake is done. Check this by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. The cake should look slightly wet on top, not completely dry.
- Remove the entire insert from the crock pot, and set on a wire rack to cool for 30 minutes.
- Use the foil sling to remove the cake gently. Very carefully, remove the slow cooker liner. Let the cake cool completely before icing.
Quick Cheat Buttercream Icing
- With a mixer, mix instant pudding, milk, softened butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. If you want a thinner consistency, add additional milk by the Tablespoon until you desired thinness.
- Ice cake. Store in the refrigerator.