This Vanilla Wafer Banana Cake is a delicious treat topped with a smooth cream cheese icing. If you like banana pudding, you will love the flavor of this cake. This banana cake became an instant hit at our house, and it will at yours too!
We consider it a successful day when one of us comes home with a recipe to try. Barbara was the speaker at a woman’s luncheon, and the hostess served the most delicious banana cake. It turns out that she won champion prize in 4-H as a young girl this recipe. So, of course, Barbara asked for the recipe and the hostess happily shared.
Vanilla Wafer Banana Cake
A unique part of this recipe is that instead of flour, the cake features ground up vanilla wafer cookies.
To get the vanilla wafers the right consistency, Barbara used her food processor. In fact, she made the entire cake in her food processor. She started by blending the vanilla wafers and pecans into crumbs; then added the butter and sugar and blended until creamy. Next, she added the bananas and eggs, one more good buzz in the processor, and the cake batter was done.
How to Make Vanilla Wafer Banana Cake
Full recipe is at the bottom of this post.
Finely crush the vanilla wafers and finely chop pecans. Cream together butter and sugar, then add eggs and mashed bananas. Blend until smooth. Add crushed vanilla wafers and pecans, and mix until incorporated. Pour batter into 9 x 13-inch greased and floured cake pan. Bake and let cool before icing. For icing, cream together butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth.
Want other banana recipes?
4-H Champion Vanilla Wafer Banana Cake
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup ripe banana mashed
- 11 oz. vanilla wafers crushed
- 1 cup pecans finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For cake, cream together butter and sugar; add eggs and mashed banana, blend until smooth.
- Add crushed vanilla wafers and chopped pecans; mix until incorporated.
- Pour into a 13x9-inch cake pan that has been greased and floured or lined with waxed paper.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 38 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before icing.
- For icing, cream together butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth.