Crock Pot Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Potato Bake is comfort food at its best with a creamy cheese sauce topping family-pleasing ingredients.
Barbara crafted this Crock Pot Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Potato Bake after a casserole our mom made for growing up. Mom’s recipe is one of our favorites but like MOST of her dishes, she didn’t really have a recipe for it. So Barbara had to create her own version.
Mom made hers in the oven (which you can definitely do with this one as well) but Barbara used her casserole slow cooker. There was some browned cheese around the edge..our favorite part!
You can use your favorite brand and flavor of smoked sausage. Barbara used her favorite which comes from Rihm Foods, a wholesale and retail meat shop in Cambridge City, Ind.
Want to know a secret? Barbara does not peel the potatoes for this recipe. Maybe it’s because the peels are full of fiber or maybe she is just lazy (her words, not mine)!
If you do not want to use the slow cooker for this dish, just preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 35-40 or until heated through.
Crock Pot Cheesy Smoked Sausage and Potato Bake
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 3 Tablespoons margarine or butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1/2 pound Velveeta cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 cups potatoes cooked, drained and cubed
- 1 1/2 cups smoked sausage cut into half moons
- In a saucepan, mix together evaporated milk, margarine, flour, Colby jack cheese, Velveeta and black pepper.
- Warm over medium heat, whisking constantly until the cheese is melted and everything is well incorporated.
- Spray the crock pot insert with cooking spray; add a layer the potatoes and top with smoked sausage.
- Pour cheese mixture over the potatoes and smoked sausage; mix together gently.
- Cook on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until bubbly.
Don't want to use the slow cooker? Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and bake in a 9 by 13-inch glass baking dish for 35-40 minutes until heated through.
Referral links are used in this post.