Are you looking for a new or updated version of a traditional dinner salad? This version of a French Dinner Salad is inspired by the traditional Nicoise salad consisting of romaine lettuce, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, green beans, baby potatoes and Great Northern beans. What’s even better, the dressing is a low fat, guilt free version with cottage cheese as a base.
French Dinner Salad
This French Dinner Salad itself is simple to throw together. The base consists of romaine lettuce which even the pickiest eaters will gobble up. The key for a beautiful presentation is to put the toppings in little piles on top of the bed of romaine instead of mixing it all together.
We pile up individual sections of cherry tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, boiled baby potatoes (salted and drizzled in olive oil), Great Northern beans and green beans (both beans are straight from the pantry).
This salad won’t break the calorie bank with Low-Fat Cottage Cheese Dressing. It is the perfect accompaniment to this hearty French-inspired dinner salad. The dressing is made of ingredients that we typically have on hand including cottage cheese, Dijon mustard, canned evaporated milk, vinegar, and salt.
Barbara brought this salad to a friend’s house for dinner and both husbands – hungry farmers – gave it two thumbs up. Barbara’s husband particularly liked the potatoes which gives it a heartier texture.
This salad can easily be modified by adding a can of drained tuna or diced grilled chicken (try our easiest grilled chicken ever). It’s a great option for pitch-ins due to its beautiful presentation. Bring the salad dressing separately to the party and dress right before serving.
Notes about This French Dinner Salad Recipe
- You can make this recipe as big or little as you like by adding more of each salad ingredient.
- Substitute regular diced tomatoes instead of cherry tomatoes if that’s what you have on hand.
- You can really use any potato that you have on hand. If it’s a larger potato, you will want to cut into smaller pieces. Using colorful potatoes makes a beautiful presentation.
- Make this a main course by adding grilled chicken or canned tuna for added protein.
- An optional step is to drizzle the potatoes with olive oil (about 1 T.) after boiling and draining for added flavor. Be sure to salt the potatoes too.
- It is best to season the canned green beans and Great Northern beans with salt and pepper after draining.
- This makes an impressive salad. You can bring the ingredients separately and arrange on sight of any gathering.
- Use nonfat cottage cheese if preferred to keep it even lower in fat.
- Feel free to use this dressing on any salad that you prefer.
How to Make French Dinner Salad with Low Fat Cottage Cheese Dressing
Chop or shred romaine. Arrange as the base of the salad on a large serving platter. Prepare eggs by hard boiling, peeling, and cutting into wedges. Drain cans of green beans and Great Northern beans. Season each with salt and pepper. Boil potatoes until cooked through. Drain and dress with olive oil and salt and pepper. Arrange eggs, tomatoes, potatoes, and both beans into piles on the romaine. To prepare dressing, mix cottage cheese, evaporated milk, Dijon mustard, vinegar and salt in a food processor and blend until smooth. Dress salad with dressing before serving.
Linking up to Weekend Potluck!
Are you looking for a new or updated version of a traditional dinner salad? This version of a French Dinner Salad is inspired by the traditional Nicoise salad consisting of romaine lettuce, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, green beans, baby potatoes and Great Northern beans.
- Romaine Lettuce
- 3-4 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 15.5 oz. can Great Northern Beans
- 14.5 oz. can Green Beans
- Baby potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cottage Cheese Dressing
- 1 cup cottage cheese low fat
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk fat free
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Thinly shred romaine lettace. Hard boil eggs, chop or cut into 1/4 wedges.
- Drain and rinse Great Northern Beans; generously season with salt and pepper.
- Drain green beans, season with salt and pepper.
- Boil baby potatoes until fork tender in salted water. Drain, drizzle with olive oil and salt. Set aside.
- Halve or quarter cherry tomatoes.
- For dressing, add cottage cheese, evaporated milk, Dijon mustard, vinegar and salt into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- To assemble salad, arrange romaine on the bottom. Arrange eggs, Great Northern Beans, green beans, potatoes, and cherry tomatoes in piles on top of the romaine.
- Serve cottage cheese dressing on the side or drizzle generously on top and toss.