Are you looking for quick and easy ham steak recipes? This Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed Ham Steak is a fast meal full of flavor and features just three simple ingredients.
Easy dinners are our jam, and recipes with only a few ingredients are our cup of tea. This recipe is just that – ham steak, yellow mustard and brown sugar!
Barbara found this recipe in an old cookbook called Favorite Recipes of American Home Economic Teachers, Meats. If you can find this book, buy it! We found a couple different used copies on Amazon.
Note: As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
This recipe uses the broil feature on your oven to get that perfect brown sugar mustard glaze. A broiler pan is ideal to use when using the Broil feature. It is a deep pan with a slotted lid on top. The meat goes on top of the grated pan.
Most ovens have two broil options, low or high. This will greatly affect how much time this recipe takes. Just note that it may take longer or shorter depending on which one you use. Also, you can leave the door cracked on the oven to watch the ham steak to make sure it doesn’t burn. The most important thing is to not walk away. Keep your eye on it!
Cook this ham steak on a broiler pan in the oven.
We keep a supply of individually packaged ham steaks in the freezer at all times. When we get pork from Rihms Foods in Cambridge City, Ind., this cut of meat is always on our list. Try our other ham steak recipe – Old-Fashioned Maple Glazed Ham Steak.
We aren’t mustard lovers in our family, but simple yellow mustard is an essential ingredient in many recipes such as our Classic Sloppy Joes,.
We have multiple bags of light brown sugar in the pantry at all times. It’s an essential ingredient when it comes to baking! Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies, Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies, Old-Fashioned Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce and so many recipes are on our regular rotation.
Notes about This Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed Ham Steak Recipe
- You can make as many ham steaks as your family needs.
- Ham steaks come in various sizes. Your ham steak may take fewer minutes to broil or more minutes to broil for this reason.
- If you use the High Broil feature, your steak will cook faster. On the flip side, if you use the Low Broil, it may take a little longer to cook.
- Ham steaks are already smoked. This means that you don’t need to worry about cooking through. Instead you just need to warm it.
- Since there are various sizes of ham steaks, you may need a little more or a little less mustard and brown sugar. Just eyeball it!
- The water in the bottom of the broiler pan serves 2 purposes. First off, it keeps the ham steak from drying out. Secondly, it makes for easier clean up.
- You can spray the grated sheet pan to help speed up the cleaning process.
How to Make Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed Ham Steak
Preheat oven to Broil (High). Prepare broiler pan by adding water. Place the grated rack on top. Spray with nonstick cooking spray if desired. Put the ham on the rack, and broil for 10 minutes. Turn the ham over, and spread with yellow mustard. Sprinkle generously with brown sugar. Broil for an additional 5 minutes or until browned slightly.
Brown Sugar Mustard Glazed Ham Steak
- 1 lb. bone-in fully cooked ham steak about 1 lb.
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard, prepared
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to Broil (high).
- Prepare boiler pan by adding 2 cups water. Place grated rack over top.
- Put the ham steak on the rack, and broil for 10 minutes.
- Flip ham steak. Spread mustard over ham, and sprinkle generously with brown sugar.
- Broil for an additional 5 minutes or until browned slightly.