This Creamy Dill Pea Salad recipe is a refreshing side dish perfect for a pitch-in, summer picnic or just a regular family dinner. Made with frozen peas and sour cream, this pea salad is quick put together and full of flavor.
This Pea Salad with Dill is a unique take on traditional pea salad. Don’t get us wrong, we are obsessed with our Old-Fashioned Pea Salad. It is a staple at all our family holidays. But this version is just as tasty and it also a crowd-pleaser. What’s better? It can be tossed together in minutes and packs a powerful flavor punch.
Creamy Dill Pea Salad
Creamy Dill Pea Salad is a low-fat, salt-free alternative to the calorie-packed traditional version. We use nonfat sour cream as opposed to mayonnaise and a salt-free seasoning blend.
While traditional pea salad contains canned peas, mayonnaise, hard boiled eggs and cheese, this version is perfectly different with sour cream, lemon juice, dill and curry powder. Don’t have curry powder? You can substitute 1/4 teaspoon cumin and 1/4 teaspoon turmeric instead.
Sour cream gives this recipe a cool tang while the combination of dill and curry powder bring a perfect spice. The lemon juice brightens the dish.
This recipe is particularly special to us. Our beautiful friend, Martine, shared this recipe with us. It is a recipe that we will treasure forever. She recently passed on to a greater place, and we will always think of her warmly as we prepare and eat this. Martine traditionally made this for funeral lunches at her church, and the funeral pea salad was always well-received on that solemn occasion.
How to make Creamy Pea Salad With Dill
To prepare, combine sour cream, fresh lemon juice, green onion, sugar, dill weed, salt-free seasoning and black pepper together in a large bowl. Add thawed peas and stir until evenly coated. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
This one’s for you, Martine!
Linking up to Weekend Potluck!
Creamy Dill Pea Salad
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream (full fat can be used)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 20 oz. frozen peas, thawed
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, lemon juice, green onions, sugar, dill weed, curry powder, salt-free seasoning, and black pepper.
- Add thawed green peas, and mix until evenly coated. Top with zested lemon peel if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.