Easy Bacon Pea Salad is absolute perfection. The simple mixture of peas, bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, hard boiled eggs and mayonnaise marries together into the perfect summertime salad fit for any picnic or family get-together.
Salads are a classic summer side dish. They pair perfectly with any grilled protein such as our Grilled Pork Shoulder Steak. We have a plethora of summer salads in our repertoire (Macaroni Salad, Red Bean Salad, Old Fashioned Fruit Salad), but this pea salad with cheddar cheese and bacon may be our new favorite.
What is it about pea salad that we love so much? The ingredients are so humble, but so delicious.
- Canned peas – How can it be any simpler than that?
- Hard boiled eggs are a vintage ingredient for summer salads like this one.
- This creamy bacon pea salad calls for shredded cheddar cheese. Do yourself a favor and buy a block of cheddar cheese and grate it yourself. It takes this recipe to a whole new level.
- Onions – Enough said. You could leave these out but they pull all the flavors together.
- Mayonnaise is a classic binder for most old-fashioned salads. Use whatever type you already have in the refrigerator.
- Salt and black pepper are the only seasonings needed for this.
- BACON, BACON, BACON. Fry it up and chop it into small pieces.
This version of pea salad with loads of crispy bacon and hand-shredded cheddar cheese may actually be even more tasty than our famous Old-Fashioned Pea Salad and our lower calorie version Creamy Dill Pea Salad.
How to Make Classic Pea Salad with Bacon:
Find the full recipe at the bottom of this page.
Drain peas. Combine with mayonnaise, chopped hard boiled eggs, minced onions, chopped bacon, salt and pepper. Mix gently, and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Notes about this Old-Fashioned Pea Salad with Cheese and Bacon:
- We use canned peas; however, you can absolutely use thawed frozen peas if desired.
- We highly recommend using a block of cheddar cheese that you grate yourself with the large side of a box grater. However, there is nothing wrong with taking a short cut and using pre-shredded cheese, but grating the cheese yourself takes it to a whole new level.
- Use whatever cheddar cheese you prefer. We tend to use the mild type, but sharp cheddar would be delicious too.
- Bacon, bacon, bacon. If you love it as much as we do, feel free to use a little more than the recipe calls for. You could garnish with extra bacon on top for some added wow factor.
- We minced our onions really fine. This gives great flavor but hides them from those onion-haters out there.
- Our go to for this recipe is regular mayonnaise, but if you prefer Miracle Whip, then have at it.
- The flavors of this salad get better over time. So feel free to make it the night before and then refrigerate until ready to serve.
Easy Bacon Pea Salad
- 15 ounces canned peas, drained
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup bacon, fried and chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Prep your ingredients, including frying and chopping bacon, draining peas, shredding cheese and chopping onion.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix gently.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.