This Classic Macaroni Salad is the perfect side dish for a summer cookout, family reunion or even a tailgate. Along with the traditional ingredients, the dressing for this version of macaroni salad includes sweetened condensed milk. This is definitely a recipe your friends and family will be asking for after they taste it.
Nothing screams summer like this Classic Macaroni Salad recipe. It is a must-have for any family reunion, cookout or even just as the perfect side with your favorite grilled protein, like steak, burgers, pork chops and hot dogs.
Our family does not normally tailgate before the games featuring our favorite college and pro football teams; however, we do enjoy gathering to watch the game. And when you get together to watch football, it’s required that you have a spread of good “tailgating” food!
Sweet Macaroni Salad Recipe
This sweet Macaroni Salad with sweetened condensed milk is one that is easy to put together the night before and only gets better and better after a few hours in the refrigerator.
During football season, our dad and Barbara’s husband are busy with corn and soybean harvest so recipes like this Classic Macaroni Salad are also great to be able to either leave in the fridge for a quick lunch (if they take a break) or load up in our awesome Colts tote and serve as a side with a hearty sandwich for supper.
The ingredients for this macaroni salad include the traditional mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, but this recipe adds in a can of sweetened condensed milk. It is so good that you have to resist the urge to eat it with a spoon.
How To Make Macaroni Salad with Sweetened Condensed Milk:
- Cook macaroni according to package instructions; drain well.
- Make the dressing by combining mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, sweetened condensed milk, and salt and pepper. Pour over macaroni and stir.
- Add in carrots, pepper and onion; mix gently. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the for instructions for Sweet Macaroni Salad with Sweetened Condensed Milk, scroll to the bottom of this post.
Our Favorite Cookout Recipes
Need other ideas for your next summer cookout or tailgate?
Notes About Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
- Use sweetened condensed milk for this recipe, not to be confused with evaporated milk.
- Red, yellow or orange peppers could be substituted for green peppers, if desired.
- Be sure to refrigerate this old fashioned macaroni salad for a minimum of 4 hour to let the flavors marinate together before serving.
- Want a pasta salad that can serve as a main dish? Try our Tuna Pasta Salad.
Classic Macaroni Salad
- 16 oz. macaroni pasta
- 3 large carrots grated
- 1 onion diced small
- 1 green pepper diced small
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni according to package directions to al dente. Drain.
- Mix together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, sweetened condensed milk and salt and pepper; add to macaroni and stir well.
- Add in carrots, onion and green pepper. Mix until completely incorporated.
- Refrigerate for a minimum 4 hours before eating.