Cheesy Frito Salad is a great side salad recipe featuring corn chips, Velveeta and avocados. With the corn chips adding a crunch, the melted Velveeta combined with evaporated milk and grated onion is a unique dressing on this salad.
This Cheesy Frito Salad recipe is modified from another of Barbara’s favorite cookbooks – The Working Cook. (See below for more recipes from this cookbook.) This is a great game day salad for hungry sports enthusiasts, especially those who might not be the biggest salad fans. Just point out that it is coated in melted Velveeta!
Cheesy Frito Salad
The corn chips give this side salad a nice crunch, and the cheese sauce makes it a crowd-pleaser. Want to make it even harder to resist? Add 3-4 slices of crumbled bacon!!
To make it spicy, add 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped to the Velveeta cheese.
Want to turn it into a main dish? You can easily make this Cheesy Frito Salad with a protein, like grilled chicken or steak or ground beef. In the past, Barbara has served it with chunks of spicy Mexican chicken burgers cut up on top.
Just a heads up, this is best served immediately after tossing in the Velveeta cheese mixture to prevent the salad from getting soggy.
A friend even commented that he had to hold back from licking the plate when he finished his serving of this Cheesy Frito Salad.
Linking up to the Weekend Potluck.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 1 avocado chopped
- 1 bag Fritos (Corn Chips), 7 oz.
- 8 oz. Velveeta cheese
- 1/3 cups grated onion
- 3 Tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 can corn drained
- Cut lettuce into bite sized pieces; add to bowl.
- To the lettuce bowl, add tomatoes, avocado and Fritos.
Over low heat, melt Velveeta, onion and evaporated milk together, stirring frequently.
- Add cheese mixture to lettuce, tossing gently. Add corn and mix.
- Serve immediately.
- To make a full meal, add grilled chicken, ground beef or steak.
More Recipes from The Working Cook
- Pressure Cooker Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Boiled Kielbasa Dinner
- Amaretto Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Golden Chicken Imperial