This Amaretto Chicken and Rice dish is ready in less than 20 minutes, perfect for a quick weeknight meal. With the juice of a fresh lemon and a splash (or two or three) of Amaretto, this recipe brings the flavor.
This Amaretto Chicken and Rice recipe is from The Working Cook cookbook. This dish is a great option for those chicken breasts that you start at in the refrigerator as you try and decide what is for dinner.
Barbara picked up a bottle of Amaretto after beach vacation so she is putting it to good use in the kitchen. Check out a couple other recipes featuring Amaretto at the end of this post.
Amaretto Chicken and Rice
Be sure to pat the chicken breasts dry before you cut them into strips. Once you mix up the seasonings and toss the chicken strips in to coat before putting them in the skillet.
The mushrooms and lemon (both the juice and the zest) add great flavors to this dish. Once you add both, don’t forget to simmer for about 5 minutes before adding the chicken broth and flour to thicken the sauce before serving.
This Amaretto Chicken and Rice is great served over rice.
Amaretto Chicken and Rice is a quick meal that is full of flavor.
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup Amaretto
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- Rice cooked as directed
- Pat chicken dry; cut into 1 inch strips.
- Mix garlic powder, salt, pepper and flour; toss chicken in flour to coat.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat; add chicken and brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms, Amaretto, lemon juice and zested rind. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix together chicken broth and cornstarch; add to chicken, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Serve over cooked rice.
Want more Amaretto recipes?