Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup is a recipe that allows you to have a warm, hearty meal on the table quickly. Electric pressure cookers are a great way to save time when fixing meals that usually take hours in the oven or crock pot.
We had one of those spring snow storms the weekend this recipe was created. Barbara and her family were stuck in house and needed something fast and warm with the ingredients they had on hand. So this Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup came to be.
If you do not have stew meat on hand, you can “make” your own by choosing a tough, lean cut of beef that will really benefit from the cooking process. Here’s a handy post about choosing the right meat for stews and dishes like this Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup.
Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
It really blows our minds that a soup featuring beef stew meat – that usually needs hours of cooking to become tender – can be cooked and ready to go in less than 30 minutes!
- 1 pound beef stew meat cubed in small chunks
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced thin
- 1 cup cabbage or carrots sliced thin
- 6 cups water
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with onion garlic and olive oil, undrained
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 oz. package Italian dressing mix
- 1 cup quick cook barley
- Heat olive oil in electric pressure cooker insert on the Saute setting; add beef stew meat that has been generously seasoned with salt and pepper. Lightly brown the meat.
- Add onion, celery, cabbage (or carrots), and water. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Release pressure using the Quick Pressure Release method. (It is ok if the meat doesn't cook entirely because it will finish cooking with the barley.)
- Remove lid; add tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, Italian dressing mix and barley.
- Cover; cook on high pressure for 2 minutes; release pressure using quick pressure release.
- Remove lid; fish out bay leaves and discard.
- Serve with crackers, crusty bread or dinner rolls.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. We earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links.