Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup is a recipe that allows you to have a warm, hearty meal on the table quickly. Want a hearty meal done quickly? Electric pressure cookers are a great way to save time when fixing meals. Take this hearty beef soup as an example, It usually takes hours in the oven or crock pot but not in your Instant Pot!
We had one of those spring snow storms the weekend this recipe was created. Barbara and her family were stuck in house and needed something fast and warm with the ingredients they had on hand. So this Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup came to be, and Barbara added it to her meal plan rotation.
If you do not have stew meat on hand, you can “make” your own. Choose a tough, lean cut of beef that will really benefit from the cooking process, and cut it into bite-size chunks. Here’s a handy post about choosing the right meat for stews and dishes like this quick beef barley vegetable soup.
We use quick cook barley in this recipe, so you do not need to cook the barley before adding it to the soup.
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- Using Saute setting, heat olive oil in Instant Pot insert and add beef stew meat seasoned with salt and pepper. Lightly brown meat.
- Add onion, celery, cabbage or carrots (or both) and water. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes and use quick pressure release method.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, dressing mix and barley. Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and release pressure with quick pressure release.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
Full recipe can be found below.
It really blows our minds that a soup featuring beef stew meat – that usually needs hours of cooking to become tender – can be cooked and ready to go in less than 30 minutes!
Need some ideas of what goes good with beef barley soup? Try Maryann’s Sweet Cornbread, but be sure to start it before your soup because it needs 20-30 minutes to bake!
Other Hearty Soup Recipes
Need some more hearty soup recipes? We have you covered. From slow cooker to stove top to oven, we have a variety of cooking methods covered.
- Tuscan Sausage and White Bean Soup
- Mom’s Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 20-Minute Ham and Cheddar Chowder
Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup is a recipe that allows you to have a warm, hearty meal on the table quickly. Electric pressure cookers are a great way to save time when fixing meals - like a hearty beef soup - that usually take hours in the oven or crock pot.
- 1 pound beef stew meat cubed in small chunks
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced thin
- 1 cup cabbage or carrots sliced thin
- 6 cups water
- 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with onion garlic and olive oil, undrained
- 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 oz. package Italian dressing mix
- 1 cup quick cook barley
- Heat olive oil in electric pressure cooker insert on the Saute setting; add beef stew meat that has been generously seasoned with salt and pepper. Lightly brown the meat.
- Add onion, celery, cabbage (or carrots), and water. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Release pressure using the Quick Pressure Release method. (It is ok if the meat doesn't cook entirely because it will finish cooking with the barley.)
- Remove lid; add tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, Italian dressing mix and barley.
- Cover; cook on high pressure for 2 minutes; release pressure using quick pressure release.
- Remove lid; fish out bay leaves and discard.
- Serve with crackers, crusty bread or dinner rolls.
As an Amazon Affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.