This 3 Ingredient Chicken Salad is a great option for an easy workday lunch to fix as a sandwich or put on crackers. You will not be able to stop eating this simple salad with canned chicken, hard boiled eggs and mayonnaise.
3 Ingredient Chicken Salad Recipe
We love recipes using canned chicken breast. It’s the convenience factor. Canned chicken chunks are easy to keep in the pantry for those nights when we don’t have time or energy to whip up a five course meal.
This might possibly be the easiest recipe of all time. Barbara’s friend, Kristin, throws this together for her family often, and even made it for a last minute play date at her house.
Barbara couldn’t believe that the recipe called for canned chicken breast or that this chicken salad really only has 3 ingredients. It was a life saver one night when her family needed to be at the ball diamonds for an early softball game. And, it made for some delicious leftovers the rest of the week.
Let’s talk about canned chicken. Some common questions that we hear are “Do I have to cook canned chicken” and “Is canned chicken cooked or raw”. The canning process cooks the chicken inside the can. This means that the answer is no, you do not need to cook canned chicken because it is already cooked. Just pop open the can, drain, and the chicken is ready to go for this easy 3 ingredient chicken salad.
How to Make Chicken Salad at Home:
For the full recipe for chicken salad with canned chicken, scroll to the bottom of this post.
- Drain the chicken, add the chopped hard boiled eggs and mayo, mix and serve!
- Seriously, just grab a packet of crackers and go to town.
We just love recipes that use ingredients that are always in the house, either in the pantry or in the refrigerator. We are definitely adding canned chicken to our pantry staples list from here on out.
You could also use canned chicken in some of our other recipes including Chicken Noodle Casserole with Potato Chips, Grandma’s Chicken Rice Casserole and Chicken Ranch Vegetable Pizza. Just swap out the cooked chicken that the recipe calls for with canned chicken breast that has been drained.
A good rule of thumb would be that one (12.5 ounces) can of chicken breast would equal two chicken breasts. Or, another way to think about it is that half of a can of chicken equals one chicken breast.
In general, canned chicken is relatively healthy. It contains a low number of calories and is high in protein. You do need to watch out for the sodium content. One way to make it healthier would be to rinse the chicken before using. Be sure to drain completely. This will help remove some of the excess sodium.
Another time-saving tip that we both like to do is to hard boil eggs at the beginning of the week and use them in recipes or to snack on at work for a high protein treat.
This 3 Ingredient Chicken Salad is a great option for an easy workday lunch to fix as a sandwich or put on crackers.
- 2 12.5 oz. cans chunk chicken breast
- 4 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain chicken breast, shred with 2 forks.
- Mix chicken, eggs, mayonnaise and salt and pepper.
- Serve on a sandwich or with crackers.
- Add canned chicken to your pantry staples list!
- Looking for low carb canned chicken recipes? Try our 5-Minute Low Carb Chicken Salad. If you are looking for canned chicken pasta recipes, try Easy 10 Minute Lemon Chicken Pasta.
- A good rule of thumb would be that one (12.5 ounces) can of chicken breast would equal two chicken breasts. Or, another way to think about it is that half of a can of chicken equals one chicken breast.
- Another time-saving tip that we both like to do is to hard boil eggs at the beginning of the week and use them in recipes or to snack on at work for a high protein treat.
Linking up to Meal Plan Monday!