3 Ingredient Chicken Salad: An Easy Canned Chicken Breast Recipe
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
You don’t need many ingredients or fancy techniques to make a great lunch. This 3-ingredient chicken salad uses canned chicken breast, hard-boiled eggs and mayonnaise, and you can take to work or school.
This 3 Ingredient Chicken Salad is a great option for an easy workday lunch to fix as a sandwich or put on crackers. You will not be able to stop eating this simple salad with canned chicken, hard boiled eggs and mayonnaise.
3 Ingredient Chicken Salad Recipe
We love recipes using canned chicken breast. It’s the convenience factor.
Canned chicken chunks are easy to keep in the pantry for those nights when we don’t have time or energy to whip up a five course meal. Check out our post with our Recipes Using Canned Chicken Breast. I often times buy big packages of Kirkland Canned Chicken at Costco since it’s so handy to have.
This might possibly be the easiest recipe of all time. Barbara’s friend, Kristin, throws this together for her family often, and even made it for a last minute play date at her house.
Barbara couldn’t believe that this dish called for canned chicken breast or that this chicken salad really only has 3 ingredients. It was a life saver one night when her family needed to be at the ball diamonds for an early softball game. And, it made for some delicious leftovers the rest of the week.
Canned Chicken Breast
Let’s talk about canned chicken. Some common questions that we hear include the following:
Do I have to cook canned chicken?
No, there is no need to cook canned chicken. The canning process cooks the chicken inside the can. You could, in fact, safely eat it directly from the can. Or, pop open the can, drain, and the chicken is ready to go for this easy 3 ingredient chicken salad.
Is canned chicken cooked or raw?
Canned chicken is cooked, not raw.
Is canned chunk chicken ready to eat?
Yes, canned chunk chicken is a ready-to eat, ready-to-serve ingredient. Eat it straight from the can, add it to a chicken salad or use it as an ingredient in your favorite chicken casserole.
What can I cook with canned chicken breast?
- Chicken tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas or burritos
- Rice bowl
- Soups such as Chicken Noodle, Chicken Chili or Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken Salad
- Appetizers such as Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Wraps such as buffalo chicken wraps
- Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken Nachos (salsa, sour cream, avocados, black olive, tortilla chips, etc.)
- Canned Chicken Breast
- Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- Hard-Boiled Eggs
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Chicken Salad at Home
Step By Step Instructions
- Drain the chicken, add the chopped hard boiled eggs and mayo, mix and serve!
- Seriously, just grab a packet of crackers and go to town.
For the full recipe for chicken salad with canned chicken, scroll to the bottom of this post.
- Add dried fruit such as dried cranberries or raisins.
- Chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans give a nice crunch.
- Fresh veggies such as celery is a nic addition.
- Make it Tex Mex by adding corn and taco seasoning.
- Other types of mayonnaise or even Miracle Whip will work in a pinch.
- Stir in your favorite type of cheese.
- Make is a tuna salad by substituting canned tuna for canned chicken.
- Leftover Rotisserie chicken works great too.
Recipes Using Canned Chicken Breast
We just love recipes that use ingredients that are always in the house, either in the pantry or in the refrigerator. We are definitely adding canned chicken to our pantry staples list from here on out.
Looking for low carb canned chicken recipes? Try our 5-Minute Low Carb Chicken Salad. If you are looking for canned chicken pasta recipes, try Easy 10 Minute Lemon Chicken Pasta.
You could also use canned chicken in some of our other recipes including Chicken Noodle Casserole with Potato Chips, Grandma’s Chicken Rice Casserole and Chicken Ranch Vegetable Pizza. Just swap out the cooked chicken that the recipe calls for with canned chicken breast that has been drained.
A good rule of thumb would be that one (12.5 ounces) can of chicken breast would equal two chicken breasts. Or, another way to think about it is that half of a can of chicken equals one chicken breast.
In general, canned chicken is relatively healthy. It contains a low number of calories and is high in protein. You do need to watch out for the sodium content. One way to make it healthier would be to rinse the chicken before using. Be sure to drain completely. This will help remove some of the excess sodium.
Another time-saving tip that we both like to do is to hard boil eggs at the beginning of the week and use them in recipes or to snack on at work for a high protein treat.
More Chicken Salad Recipes
We love a good chicken salad whether it’s simple like the recipe below or a bit fancier with a few more ingredients.
3-Ingredient Chicken Salad
- 25 ounces canned chunk chicken breast
- 4 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain chicken breast, shred with 2 forks.
- Mix chicken, eggs, mayonnaise and salt and pepper.
- Serve on a sandwich or with crackers.
- Add canned chicken to your pantry staples list!
- Looking for low carb canned chicken recipes? Try our 5-Minute Low Carb Chicken Salad. If you are looking for canned chicken pasta recipes, try Easy 10 Minute Lemon Chicken Pasta.
- A good rule of thumb would be that one (12.5 ounces) can of chicken breast would equal two chicken breasts. Or, another way to think about it is that half of a can of chicken equals one chicken breast.
- Another time-saving tip that we both like to do is to hard boil eggs at the beginning of the week and use them in recipes or to snack on at work for a high protein treat.
- The nutritional information below is auto-calculated and can vary depending on the products used. It should not be used for specific dietary needs.
Linking up to Meal Plan Monday!
I’m kinda surprised this taste good…no offense. It’s just different from what I’m used to. The olive oil was odd but, it really did make up for the smaller amounts in the mayo. It didn’t off set it or give it a weird flavor like I thought it would. Good job.
So glad you tried it and enjoyed it!
Absolutely delicious! My daughter loves it too!
We love it too! Thanks!
A new favorite. Thank you!
Isn’t it the easiest! Thanks for the note.
Yay. So glad you enjoyed it!
Im going to try i love it simple
We doo too!,
So easy and so good thanks