This Moist Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread features non-traditional ingredients, like honey and applesauce, to make it a less guilty treat for the family.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread was a staple in our house growing up. Our mom still makes her famous version today and usually has at least a couple of loaves in the freezer at any given time. Check out Mom’s Version.
Before the popularity of “Zoodles” and using zucchini in a variety of recipes (like our Spicy Roasted Zucchini), Zucchini Bread seemed to be the only way to use up the extras that anyone who has zucchini in their garden knows what I’m talking about!
Barbara’s good friend made this moist zucchini bread (her family’s favorite) for a party recently, and she was hooked.
It is easy to feel less guilty about this recipe since it uses applesauce (unsweetened) in place of a portion of the oil and honey instead of sugar. The recipe calls for one-third cup of coconut oil but you can use vegetable oil if that is what you have on hand.
This healthy zucchini bread recipe makes one loaf of bread, and we use a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan.
This bread is so moist that you might confuse it with banana bread instead.
Moist Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Recipe
How to Make Healthy Zucchini Bread with Chocolate Chips:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F; spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine dry ingredients; in a separate bowl, mix eggs, honey, applesauce and coconut oil.
- To the wet ingredients, alternately add dry ingredients and grated zucchini.
- Stir in chocolate chips; pour into prepared dish.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the full recipe for healthy zucchini bread with applesauce, scroll to the bottom of this post.
Try some of our other favorite zucchini recipes:
Moist Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 1/3 cup coconut oil liquid form
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini grated
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Combine dry ingredients including flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix honey, applesauce, coconut oil, and eggs until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with grated zucchini.
- Stir in chocolate chips; spread into a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.