This healthy Low Calorie Cabbage Soup is perfect after a weekend of indulgence because while it is full of vegetables it is also full of flavor.
This is one of Barbara’s recipes. She makes this fat burning cabbage soup after she has had one of those awesome weekends where the overindulgence went a bit too far. What’s so great is that it is a simple cabbage soup, and the ingredients are versatile.
It helps her get her week – and her waistline – back on track. She will eat it for breakfast and lunch for a couple days and it does the trick. The soup is delicious too so it’s not hard to manage. The vegetables are all low in calories, and restricting calories helps shed those extra pounds. Now, we know that isn’t a long term diet to follow, but it is a recipe we enjoy when we have over-indulged!
All the ingredients in this recipe follow the Weight Watchers Diet as well and fall into the WW FreeStyle Zero Points List.
Barbara loves this recipe so much that she made a new version. Try our Instant Pot Vegetable Soup with Lemon and Ginger!
Low Calorie Cabbage Soup Recipe
Notes about Fat Burning Vegetable Soup Recipe:
You can add as little or much of red pepper flakes as you prefer. A little heat is good for your metabolism.
She also tends to make it in the summer when the garden is in full swing to use up those heads of cabbage that seem to multiply. If you have an extra large head of cabbage like we do from our gardens at times, you may want to use a quarter or a third of the cabbage instead of a full half.
If there’s other veggies you like, add or substitute those in.
How To Make Cabbage Fat Burning Soup:
Full Fat Burning Soup recipe can be found below.
Heat olive oil in a saucepan; add onions, celery and carrots; saute. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Add tomatoes, broth and cabbage to the vegetables. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Add peas, green beans and seasonings and continue to simmer until everything is warmed through.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded
- 2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can green beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 4 cups water
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots and celery.
- Saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add undrained tomatoes, chicken broth and cabbage.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add green beans, peas, salt, black pepper, Italian seasonings, water and red pepper flakes. Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.