This healthy Low Calorie Cabbage Soup is perfect after a weekend of indulgence because while it is full of vegetables it is also full of flavor.
This is one of Barbara’s recipes. She makes this Low Calorie Cabbage Soup after she has had one of those awesome weekends where the overindulgence went a bit too far.
It helps her get her week – and her waistline – back on track. She will eat it for breakfast and lunch for a couple days and it does the trick. The soup is delicious too so it’s not hard to manage.
Low Calorie Cabbage Soup
You can add as little or much of red pepper flakes as you prefer. A little heat is good for your metabolism.
She also tends to make it in the summer when the garden is in full swing to use up those heads of cabbage that seem to multiply. If you have an extra large head of cabbage like we do from our gardens at times, you may want to use a quarter or a third of the cabbage instead of a full half.
If there’s other veggies you like, add or substitute those in.
Don’t know what do to with the other half of the cabbage? Try our Sweet and Sour Coleslaw.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded
- 2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 14.5 oz can green beans, drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 4 cups water
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onions, carrots and celery.
- Saute for 5-7 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add undrained tomatoes, chicken broth and cabbage.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add green beans, peas, salt, black pepper, Italian seasonings, water and red pepper flakes. Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes.