Old Fashioned Ham Salad Spread is just 5 simple ingredients that will take you right back to your childhood—leftover baked ham, Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish and sugar. Served on a sandwich or crackers, it’s always a hit.
Deviled Ham Salad Recipe:
We call ham salad by many different names – sandwich spread, deviled ham salad, salad spread, bologna salad. Our version is an easy ham salad without eggs. It is only 5 ingredients – leftover baked ham, miracle whip, sweet pickle relish and yellow mustard.
Summer is the perfect season for sandwich spreads. What is a sandwich spread you may ask? It’s really a mixture of mayo or miracle whip and relish with some type of meat that combines into a delicious salad that can be served on a sandwich or eaten with crackers. Some of our favorites are Bologna Salad, Chicken Salad with 3 ingredients, and Low Carb Lemon Chicken Salad.
Notes About Old Fashioned Ham Salad Recipe:
- Our version of easy ham salad is a honey baked ham salad recipe. This means that you can use up that holiday ham – whichever kind of ham you have. Sometimes we use leftover spiral ham (3 Ingredient Crock Pot Ham) and sometimes it’s a country ham (Cranberry Glazed Ham in the Instant Pot).
- This is the perfect recipe for leftover ham.
- Honey baked hams salads are very salty from the curing process of the ham. You will most likely not need to add additional salt to ham salad spread.
- We prefer using Miracle Whip in our sandwich spread. This can be very controversial. It’s a personal preference. You could definitely choose to use regular mayonnaise. You may need to add additional sugar to your recipe if you do use regular mayonnaise to cut the saltiness.
- Our version of deviled ham salad uses sweet pickle relish. If you prefer dill pickles, go ahead and make the swap. If you don’t have any relish, chop up some pickles.
- Ham salad is very versatile. There’s endless number of ingredients that remind people of the their favorite version growing up including onion, celery, olives, onion powder, hard boiled eggs and cheese. Go ahead and modify as you like.
- It’s not a bad idea to start with a little less Miracle Whip/ mayonnaise. If you like it with a little wetter consistency, you can add more.
- You could even make this ham salad spread recipe using bologna like we do in this version.
- Serve this easy ham salad without eggs on bread or with crackers – it’s yummy either way.
How To Make Ham Salad Spread:
For the full deviled ham salad recipe, scroll to the bottom of this post.
- In a good processor, grind ham into a fine dice.
- Add the remaining ingredients in with the ham, and pulse until the desired consistency of sandwich spread.
We love summer salads. Are you looking for some side dishes to go along with your sandwich spread? Try Classic Macaroni Salad, Old Fashioned Fruit Salad, Pink Cherry Fluff, Old Fashioned Pea Salad, Red Bean Salad, and Sweet and Sour Coleslaw.
Old Fashioned Ham Salad Spread is just 5 simple ingredients that will take you right back to your childhood---leftover baked ham, Miracle Whip, yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish and sugar.
- 3 cups baked ham
- 1 cup miracle whip
- 1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
In a food processor, grind ham into small chunks.
Add remaining ingredients to the ham, and blend until desired consistency.