If you need an easy dinner option, give Mom’s Wild Rice and Broccoli Soup a try. It is full of flavor and quick to put together for a family-pleasing meal.
Add a loaf of crusty French bread and you have yourself a complete meal.
Mom’s Wild Rice and Broccoli Soup
Our mom shared this recipe with us (aren’t Mom’s recipes the best) and we immediately loved it.
It is a great way to use leftover chicken or turkey. Don’t have any chicken or turkey? No problem, this soup is delicious with or without the added chicken or turkey.
You do need to plan ahead just a bit and pull out your frozen broccoli so that it has plenty of time to thaw. If you want to save some time, grab the frozen CHOPPED broccoli from the grocer’s freezer and skip the chopping when you get home.
Do not forget to add the seasoning packet from the Uncle Ben’s Chicken and Wild Rice Mix. There are not many other seasonings in the soup so it adds some flavor.
- 1 (5 oz.) box of Uncle Ben's Chicken and Wild Rice Mix
- 1 (32 oz.) carton chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 (10 oz.) package frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 oz.) block cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 cups chicken or turkey, cooked and cubed
- Bring Wild Rice mix (including seasoning packet), broth and water to a boil; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrot and onion; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in soup and cream cheese, whisking until cheese melts down.
- Add cooked chicken or turkey (can be omitted); heat until meat is warmed through.
Referral links are used in this post.