If you need an easy dinner option, give Mom’s Wild Rice and Broccoli Soup a try. It is full of flavor and quick to put together for a family-pleasing meal. Want to make it a bit heartier? Add some cooked chicken or turkey to the soup and a loaf of crusty French bread on the side, now you have yourself a complete meal.
Mom’s Wild Rice and Broccoli Soup
Our mom shared this recipe with us (aren’t Mom’s recipes the best) and we immediately loved it. We get our love of soups from our mom. Growing up chili and beef vegetable soup were regular meals on our table. Her beef stew is one of our favorites and Barbara adapted it for the slow cooker in this version.
The creamy soup is a great way to use leftover turkey and chicken, especially leftover rotisserie chicken! Don’t have any chicken or turkey? No problem, this soup is delicious with or without the added chicken or turkey.
How to Make Mom’s Broccoli and Wild Rice Soup
- Bring the rice mix with the seasoning packet, broth and water to a boil. Let is simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, onions and broccoli and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in cream soup and cream cheese. Whisk until incorporated.
- Add chicken or turkey if you want it in the soup and cook until meat is heated through.
Full recipe and ingredients list below.
Notes about Broccoli Soup with Wild Rice
- Plan ahead and pull out your frozen broccoli so that it has plenty of time to thaw.
- Save some time and grab the frozen CHOPPED broccoli from the grocer’s freezer and skip the chopping when you get home.
- Do not forget to add the seasoning packet from the Uncle Ben’s Chicken and Wild Rice Mix. There are not many other seasonings in the soup so it adds flavor.
Our Favorite Recipes from Mom
Our mom is a great cook and baker. While she worked full-time as a high school English and Latin teacher, we almost always had a home-cooked meal for supper (our evening meal) and on Saturday for lunch. In the summer, she always cooked a large lunch for us, our dad and our uncle – both farmers – who came home to eat each day. We’ve shared many of her recipes on the blog. Here are some of our all-time favorites:
If you need an easy dinner option, give Mom's Wild Rice and Broccoli Soup a try. It is full of flavor and quick to put together for a family-pleasing meal.
- 1 5 oz. box of Uncle Ben's Chicken and Wild Rice Mix
- 1 32 oz. carton chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 10 oz. package frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 2 teaspoons minced dried onion
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 8 oz. block cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 cups chicken or turkey cooked and cubed
- Bring Wild Rice mix (including seasoning packet), broth and water to a boil; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrot and onion; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in soup and cream cheese, whisking until cheese melts down.
- Add cooked chicken or turkey (can be omitted); heat until meat is warmed through.
Referral links are used in this post.