As you may know, many of our recipes are ones that we have found in old cookbooks passed down to us by our mom and grandmothers. Some of our favorite cookbooks are ones from local churches and Extension Homemaker groups.
This recipe was adapted from one found in the 1988 Shelby County Extension Cookbook (thanks Katherine Tresslar for the original recipe). Barbara modified this recipe for individual portions.
Luscious Lettuce Salad in a Jar
After packing the kids’ lunches, sometimes we just don’t have the energy or time to pack our own. This Luscious Lettuce Salad in a Jar is great because you can make several of them at once and just grab and go during the week.
While our recipe include cauliflower and chicken, you definitely could change up the ingredients based on your personal preferences OR for what you have in the refrigerator!
However, be sure the lettuce is not touching the dressing or it will get soggy.
Want a good grilled chicken recipe? Try our Easiest Grilled Chicken Ever!
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 Tablespoon vinegar
- 3/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 hard boiled egg chopped
- 1/4 cup cauliflower chopped
- 1/2 cup grilled chicken cubed
- Mix sugar, mayonnaise and vinegar; pour into the bottom on a glass pint jar.
- Arrange salad in following order on top of the dressing: grilled chicken, hard boiled egg, cauliflower, lettuce.
- Seal the jar and store in the fridge for an easy meal.
- Before serving, give the jar a good shake to distribute the dressing.
Be sure your lettuce isn't touching the dressing or it will get soggy.