This Make-Ahead Ham and Cheese Quiche can be pulled together the night before you need it and customized to your tastes by simply adding your favorite ingredients. Our favorite version includes deli ham, mozzarella AND cheddar cheese, eggs, and whipping cream.
Ham and Cheese Quiche with Heavy Cream:
This easy ham and cheese quiche is a recipe from Maryann, Barbara’s friend. (Maryann also gave us the yummy Tuscan Sausage and White Bean Soup, Spanish Hot Dog Sauce and Maryann’s Sweet Cornbread) She makes this a lot when Barbara’s family comes for the weekend.
They both love how you can toss it together the night before and then just bake it in the morning. (PREP-AHEAD for the WIN). At Barbara’s house, they tend to eat it for lunch or dinner. You can also serve this easy ham and cheese quiche hot out of the oven or cold (at room temperature).
We love making an extra quiche to have for weekday lunches or a quick weeknight meal option. This is also the perfect meal for Thanksgiving or Christmas morning. Prep it ahead the night before, and pop it in the oven so it’s ready when the gifts are unwrapped. We also love making this for family gatherings, bridal or baby showers since it can be served room temperature.
Ingredients Needed for Quiche with Cream:
Heavy Whipping Cream
Ham (deli or leftover, chunked holiday ham)
The Best Make-Ahead Ham and Cheese Quiche Recipe
One of the reasons that this easy, cheesy quiche is the best is because it is easily customized to your (or your family’s) tastes. Maryann puts green onions and peppers in her version. With her picky eaters, Barbara tends to leave those out and swap out bacon, sausage or ham.
Barbara has a pantry secret ingredient that she uses in this ham and cheese quiche recipe with heavy cream. Shelf stable whipping cream! It comes in half pint sized containers, and you can pull them out for this recipe or if you have a hankering for whipped cream for your hot chocolate. That way, you don’t have to worry about it going bad in the refrigerator.
One other quick note…be sure to use the deep dish pie crust! You will need the extra space for all the cheesy egg goodness! Or, if you are on a low-carb diet, omit the pie crust and make it a crust-less ham and cheese quiche.
Can you make quiche the night before and bake in the morning?
Yes, absolutely. Whisk eggs and heavy cream, and stir in shredded cheese and toppings (ham, sausage, bacon, mushrooms, onions, peppers, etc.) Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, pour the quiche batter into a prepared pie crust and bake according to the directions.
What are some unique quiche fillings?
I love quiche because it’s so versatile. Check out our list of unique quiche fillings.
- Canned salmon
- Cooked spinach
- Green beans
- Rotisserie chicken
Can I substitute milk or half and half for heavy cream in quiche?
Yes, if you are watching your fat intake, consider substituting either milk or half and half in for the required amount of heavy cream. The texture of the quiche won’t be as rich, but it will still work.
How to Prepare Make-Ahead Ham and Cheese Quiche with Heavy Cream
For the full ingredient amounts and directions for Cheesy Ham Quiche recipe, scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs and whipping cream; add ham and cheese and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before baking, pour into a deep dish pie crust, and bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until golden brown and set.
How to use up leftover holiday ham?
Prep Ahead Ham and Cheese quiche is our favorite way to use up leftover ham, but over the years we’ve acquired a whole list of other great options. For the complete list, check out our post dedicated solely to using up leftover ham.
Make-Ahead Ham and Cheese Quiche
- 1 lb. deli ham
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Colby jack cheese
- 4 eggs
- 8 oz. whipping cream
- 1 frozen deep dish pie crust
- Lightly beat eggs and whipping cream until yolks are blended into cream; add ham and cheese and mix well.
- Cover in a bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or lightly golden brown.
- Let set up in pie crust for a minimum of 10 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- If you're using leftover holiday ham, use 2 - 3 cups of chunked ham (or whatever you have to use up).
- If you like your eggs more set up, consider covering with foil and adding additional time to the cook time.
- Customize this quiche to your liking: add green onions and pepper, or bacon, sausage or ham.
- Try shelf stable whipping cream! It comes in half pint sized containers, and you can pull them out for this recipe or if you have a hankering for whipped cream for your hot chocolate. That way, you don't have to worry about it going bad in the refrigerator.
- Be sure to use the deep dish pie crust! You will need the extra space for all the cheesy egg goodness!
- Looking for a new family favorite quiche? Try our Cheeseburger Quiche, Zucchini Quiche or Salmon Quiche.