This Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce is full of flavor and hearty, featuring ground beef and sausage. Just throw the ingredients in the crock pot and enjoy.
Barbara found this recipe in her trusty Pot O’Gold Cookbook and the original recipe was made on the stove top. She adapted the recipe to be done in the crock pot.
Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
For full disclosure, we are all about using store-bought spaghetti sauce. There are some great options out there.
However, making your own spaghetti sauce is really simple and this recipe is a great one!
This sauce is thick, meaty, and oh-so flavorful. It features both ground beef and pork sausage (you can use ground pork if you’d like).
Just brown up both on the stove top and add the onions and garlic before all the ingredients go into your slow cooker.
If you don’t want to put it together in the morning to enjoy at dinnertime, just cook it on the stove top following the instructions in the note section of the recipe below.
This recipe makes a ton. Barbara froze half of it and used it later to make another batch of spaghetti.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. pork sausage
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 (15.5 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
- 1 tomato sauce can of water (optional, if you like really thick sauce, you can omit)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 Tablespoons sweet basil
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Brown hamburger and pork sausage. Add onions and garlic.Cook until onions are tender.
- Add all ingredients to the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
Follow instructions above, but use a large saucepan.
You may need 2 tomato sauce cans of water, depending on how thick you like your sauce.
Bring sauce to a slow boil, then turn down to a simmer.
Simmer until ready to serve.