This Low-Carb Baked Spaghetti Squash is a casserole with tons of flavor thanks to the creamy cheeses, spices and tomatoes. Your family won’t complain about the lack of “real” pasta and they will ask for seconds.
We love using spaghetti squash in dishes where we usually use some kind of pasta. It lightens up the dish a bit and tastes just as good – and often better!
In this Low-Carb Baked Spaghetti, we use ground beef but you definitely could use ground pork, sausage, Italian sausage, ground turkey (basically your ground meat of choice).
We used regular diced tomatoes in our version of this casserole. However, you can find them with the spices already included, like basil, oregano and garlic. You could definitely use a couple of cans of those tomatoes and not add the extra spices.
Low-Carb Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 oz. Neufchatel cheese or cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup ricotta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- To bake squash, pierce it with a knife 5 or 6 times. Bake it in a 400 degree F oven for 60-90 minutes or until cooked through (a fork should be able to pierce outer peel easily and all the way to interior of the squash). Let cool before cutting in half. Remove seeds. Shred squash with a fork.
- Brown ground beef, drain excess grease.
- In a large skillet, heat chicken broth and Neufchatel cheese over medium heat, whisking until cheese is melted and slightly foamy.
- Add Parmesan cheese, diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, ricotta, and shredded squash; mix together.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Pour into a greased 13 by 9 inch pan; top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes; broil for 3-5 minutes until cheese is slightly browned.
- Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. We earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links.