Instant Pot Tomato Braised Kale is a healthy side dish that takes just minutes to make. Braising the kale with tomatoes and onions gives it a tender texture.
A multi-functional pressure cooker or Instant Pot is the perfect appliance to quickly make this delicious side dish. Tomato Braised Kale will become your new favorite side dish and a healthy addition to your table.
Instant Pot Tomato Braised Kale
Canned, stewed tomatoes and vegetable (or chicken) broth are the base of the liquid that will braise the kale. A pressure cooker makes this a quick side dish while freeing up the stove for your main dish.
It can be tricky to get your kids to eat kale. As this was braising in the Instant Pot, Barbara’s 5-year-old came into the kitchen asking what that yummy smell was. Once it was finished, she begged for a bowl, and then she licked it clean. We’ll chalk it up to the sweet flavor the tomatoes and the tender texture that braising gives the kale.
Notes about This Tomato Braised Kale Recipe
- We buy our kale pre-washed and cut in the refrigerator section. You could buy a bunch of kale. If so, be sure to wash away any sand and then removed the woody stems.
- You can use whatever kind of broth you have on hand. We used vegetable broth, but chicken would be perfect. Whatever you use, get the low sodium version.
- Stewed tomatoes are found in the canned food aisle. If you have regular canned diced tomatoes on hand, those will work too. Do not drain.
- You can use fresh minced garlic or canned minced garlic.
- If you are sensitive to spicy foods, leave out the red pepper flakes. Or add more if you like it spicier.
- The pressure cooker insert will seem really full. Just push down the kale. It will cook down a lot.
- Use the natural pressure release method for this recipe.
How to Make Instant Pot Tomato Braised Kale
Turn your multi-function pressure cooker to saute mode. Add olive oil until hot. Add sliced onions and saute until soft about 3 minutes. Do not brown the onions. Add all the remaining ingredients. Cover and seal lid, locking into place. Turn on to high pressure and set cook time to 1 minute. Once complete, use the natural release method.
This Instant Pot Tomato Braised Kale is the perfect, healthy side dish and it only takes minutes to make.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup broth, vegetable or chicken
- 14.5 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 lb, kale washed and chopped
In an electric pressure cooker or instant pot, heat olive oil on saute mode. Add sliced onions and saute for 3 to 4 minutes or until they begin to soften but not brown.
Add all remaining ingredients to the pressure cooker insert.
Cover and seal the lid to lock position.
Set the pressure cooker to high pressure for 1 minute cook time.
Let pressure release using the natural release method.