This Three Day Coconut Cake uses a boxed cake mix and just three other ingredients to make a delicious dessert for the coconut lovers in your life.
This recipe came from the wife of a coworker when Barbara worked at Frito Lay. (Have we shared that Barbara has a degree in Food Science? It comes in handy as she’s working on recipes!)
We were lucky that she brought this recipes with her when she and her family moved back to the family farm a few years ago. Our family loves coconut so this is a real treat when Barbara makes it.
Three Day Coconut Cake
Several of the recipes that we’ve seen for this cake call for whipped topping to be included in the icing but this version just features frozen fresh coconut, sour cream and sugar.
The frozen fresh coconut is sometimes hard to find but we’ve found it at our local Walmart and at Asian specialty stores. Also, sometimes we can’t find the golden butter cake mix so here’s a link.
You are supposed to wait until the third day to eat, but it is so hard, especially after you taste test the delicious icing.
- 3 (6 oz.) pkg frozen fresh coconut, thawed
- 1 (16 oz.) container sour cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 boxed golden butter cake, prepared
- Mix thawed coconut, sour cream and sugar and set in fridge for 2 hours.
- Prepare butter cake recipe as directed on back of box.
- Pour into 3 round cake pans and bake according to directions (15 to 20 minutes).
- After cake has cooled, ice with coconut mixture between layers and on top and sides.
- Cover with plastic wrap and foil, and store in the refrigerator.
- Cut and eat on the third day.
Referral links are used in this post.