This Honey Bun Coffee Cake recipe takes a box of yellow cake mix and adds a couple extra ingredients to turn it into a delicious breakfast or dessert treat. This coffee cake is perfect served with a tall glass of milk or hot cup of coffee.
Honey Bun Coffee Cake Recipe
Barbara picked up this Honey Bun Cake recipe with Buttermilk that tastes just like a honey bun at a pitch-in at work. Someone made it and photo-copied the recipe for everyone to take home. What a great idea, right? A fun way to share some of those recipes that are always a hit at parties and potlucks!
The base of this recipe is a yellow cake mix. Our family loves desserts with yellow cake mix like Easy Caramel Bars, Yellow Cake Mix Gooey Bars, Pumpkin Crunch Cake Recipe, 3-Day Coconut Cake and Cinnamon Rolls using Cake Mix. Did you realize there were so many ways to use yellow cake mix?
Her kids love honey buns, just like we did when we were younger. This honey bun coffee cake recipe with buttermilk is easy to make and a real step above those pastries found in the grocery store check out or gas station! It tastes just like an iced honey bun!
This was a great recipe to make with kids. The steps are all relatively easy including taking a butter-knife to swirl the cinnamon sugar layer. They ate this for breakfast, and everyone cleaned their plates. But, Barbara said it won her wife of year because her husband said they could use this as his birthday cake from here on out.
Notes About Iced Honey Bun Cake Recipe:
- Most of the ingredients for this recipe are most likely already in your pantry and refrigerator.
- Buttermilk is one of the ingredients in this recipe. You will notice that it is not in the photo of the ingredients above. Barbara never seems to have buttermilk so she follows a little hack instead. Use milk as a substitute for buttermilk, but then add 1 T. of lemon juice or vinegar to the milk to make “buttermilk.”
- This tasty honey bun cake has the most delicious topping made of brown sugar and cinnamon. It gives it a nice crunch. Then a powdered sugar glaze goes right over top.
- For the glaze, be sure to pour it over the iced honey bun cake right when it comes out of the oven. Then, take a spatula and spread the icing out over the whole cake.
- The brown sugar and cinnamon mixture will be divided into two and added in two layers.
- Layer one- cake batter, Layer two- brown sugar and cinnamon, Layer three- cake batter, Layer four- brown sugar and cinnamon
- After the fourth layer, take a knife and make swirls through the entire batter.
- This honey bun cake with yellow cake mix recipe could be breakfast or dessert!
How to Make Iced Honey Bun Coffee Cake Recipe:
Full recipe can be found at the bottom of this post.
Grease and flour a 9-x-13-inch cake pan. In a large bowl, mix together cake mix, oil, and buttermilk. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar. Pour half of the cake mixture into the prepared cake pan. Top with half of the cinnamon and sugar mix. Pour remaining cake mix into the pan, followed by remaining cinnamon and sugar mix. Take butter knife and swirl cinnamon and sugar mixture into the cake batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once cake is out of the oven, you will mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla into a smooth glaze and top the warm cake.
Coffee cake recipes are our jam! Try some of our favorites:
Honey Bun Coffee Cake
- 15.25 oz. yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix cake mix, eggs, oil and buttermilk together in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Grease and flour a 9x13-inch cake pan; pour half the cake batter in pan.
- Top batter with half of cinnamon/sugar mixture, followed by remaining cake batter and ending with remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Take a butter knife and swirl sugar mixture into the cake batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla; pour glaze over cake while it is still warm.