White Chocolate Candy Mix – White Trash Mix
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
This White Chocolate Candy Mix features some of our favorite cereals, salty snacks and candy. Covered in almond bark (white chocolate), this candy mix is often called White Trash Mix. You will not be able to stop eating this white chocolate covered candy mix featuring graham cereal so share it with others as soon as you make it.
This candy mix is a hit no matter where we take it. We adapted it from a recipe from our local Extension Homemakers cookbook years ago as a Christmas recipe. You can find our Halloween take on this treat here…we add candy corn!
I tend to make batches and batches of this sweet treat at the holidays, but it is a really easy recipe to make anytime of the year. Whether it is to package up in fun bags or tins to give as gifts or to take to a pitch-in, this snack mix only requires a microwave, a couple of large mixing bowls and a table to allow the candy-coated goodness to dry.
White Chocolate Snack Mix
The great thing about snack mixes like this one is that you can personalize based on your tastes (or what you have in your pantry).
The original recipe called for Crispix cereal but we couldn’t find it in our local store and we love the flavor of graham crackers so we decided to use Golden Grahams cereal (or the store brand – whichever one is on sale). Many people use Rice Chex or Bugles instead of Golden Grahams but we really like to flavor of the graham cracker cereal when making this white chocolate covered snack mix.
Sometimes we use Milk Chocolate M&M’s and sometimes we use Peanut M&M’s if we need an extra kick of peanut flavor (or if we don’t have any peanuts)! At Easter we get a little crazy and replace the M&Ms with Cadbury Mini Eggs.
We use the Multi-Grain Cheerios because they are just a bit sweeter than regular Cheerios but either kind work great.
For the salty part of this treat, we use salted peanuts but have used dry roasted peanuts if that’s all we have. Pretzel sticks are our preferred pretzel ingredient but we have used mini twists in a pinch.
Ingredients for White Trash Candy Mix
Golden Graham cereal
Multigrain Cheerios (you can use any kind)
Pretzels (we use sticks)
Melting Almond Bark in Microwave
Here is how we like to melt our almond bark in the microwave:
- Break almond bark into small pieces.
- Place half of package into a microwave-safe bowl or dish. (You can melt it all at the same time but we’ve found making smaller batches is easier to manage throughout the entire process.)
- Microwave for 45-60 seconds, stir. (You won’t see much melting yet).
- Return to microwave for another 30-45 seconds, stir.
- Repeat this process until most of the almond bark has melted. When there are just a few small pieces left, stir until they are completely melted.
Notes about White Chocolate Snack Mix
Here are some tips for making this White Chocolate Snack Mix:
- This recipe makes A LOT of snack mix but it’s super easy to make a half (or even quarter) batch.
- Do not be afraid to substitute ingredients or add more/less of the stuff you like/don’t like. It’s easy to do.
- We break the stick pretzels in half for “bite-size” pieces but that’s just our preference.
- Use a REALLY big mixing bowl to combine the dry ingredients – you’ll need it.
- If you don’t have a REALLY big mixing bowl, divide the dry ingredients into 2 separate large mixing bowls. Then melt half of the almond bark for one of the bowls and then repeat for the other bowl.
- Honestly, we usually make 2 half batches and divide them into another 2 batches! We melt half of the almond bark and pour half of that over one quarter batch of the dry ingredients and spread on wax paper to set. Then we use the bowl that we used to mix the almond bark into the dry ingredients over again. Saves on dirty dishes that way and is easier to everything coated evenly.
- Check out our Amazon Store for our favorite pantry and kitchen items.
How to Make Cereal Snack Mix with White Chocolate
Find full ingredient list and recipe directions at the bottom of the post.
Mix together all dry ingredients. Melt almond bark in microwave. Cover dry ingredients with almond bark and stir until covered. Spread evenly on wax paper or parchment paper and allow to dry. Once dry, break into small pieces and store in an airtight container.
Making Cereal Candy Mix for Homemade Gifts
I have been making this White Chocolate Candy Mix as holiday gifts for years. It’s so simple to make a large batch or two and then have enough to make several quart-sized bags worth of goodness to share!
My sister started making it for the teachers in her children’s school a couple of years ago and now they look forward to it every December!
As long as you keep the mix in an airtight container, it will stay fresh for quite a while which means you can make it ahead and have it ready for gifts – even those last minute, unexpected ones that always pop up.
Other Snack Mix Recipes
PayDay Snack Mix with Candy Corn and Peanuts
Homemade Gift Ideas
We love giving homemade gifts not only for Christmas but for occasions all year long. We even pulled together some of our favorites in this Homemade Gift Idea post.
Here are a few others that may or may not be in the post above:
- Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Balls
- Homemade Cocoa Mix (Bulk)
- Edible Kool-Aid Play Dough
- Friendship Tea
White Chocolate Snack Mix
- 6 cups Golden Graham Cereal
- 3 cups Multi-Grain Cheerios Cereal or Cheerios of your choice
- 2 cups stick pretzels
- 2 cups peanuts
- 2 cups M&M's candies
- 1 tray almond bark
- Mix cereal, pretzels, peanuts, M&M's together in large mixing bowl.
- Melt almond bark in separate bowl. If melting in microwave, go in 30-45 second intervals and stir well in between as bark will melt while being stirred.
- Pour melted almond bark over dry ingredients and stir to coat.
- Spread on wax paper to set.
- When set, break up and store in air-tight container.