By adding taco seasoning to both the marinade and the dressing, this Flank Steak Salad is a family-pleasing meal with simple additions like Doritos. Salads are a great main dish option, especially when you add a protein, like steak, chicken or seafood.
The weather has finally turned which means we’ve fired up the grill. We love how easy it is to toss some meat on the grill to make a quick, yet delicious, meal.
Flank Steak is the perfect cut of meat to slice thin and put on a salad. Confused about the different cuts of beef? Check out these posts from some Indiana farmers that help explain them: My Fearless Kitchen and Farmwife Crafts.
Flank Steak Salad
What we love about salads is that you can make an adult version and a kid version to make everyone happy. That’s what Barbara did with this salad.
The adult version includes tomatoes, large slices of flank steak and a taco-ranch dressing.
For both the marinade and the taco-ranch dressing, Barbara used a packet of taco seasoning. It doesn’t matter what brand, just choose your favorite or make your own! You just need one Tablespoon of taco seasoning for the marinade and four teaspoons for the dressing.
While the kid’s version includes snack bites of steak, extra cheese, crushed-up Doritos (this is key to getting her kids to eat salad), and regular ranch dressing.
Barbara used romaine in this salad. It’s nice and crisp, and also kid friendly. Iceberg lettuce is a great substitute.
She put red peppers in the kid version too because her kids like them. That is the beauty of this salad, modify it to each person’s liking. Avocados or corn would be great additions as well.
How to Make Salad with Taco Seasoning Marinated Flank Steak
Mix together taco seasoning, oil, lemon or lime juice. Cover flank steak with marinade and let sit in refrigerator for at least an hour. Grill steak to desired state and let rest before slicing thinly against the grain. While steak is resting, make dressing by combining ranch dressing and taco seasoning. Put together the salad and top with sliced steak and drizzle with dressing.
Other Salad Recipes
We love a good salad as a side dish or even as a main dish. Here are some of our favorites.
- Taco Chopped Salad
- Easy Taco Salad
- Simple Mango Farro Kale Salad
- Italian Antipasto Salad
- Back Home Cornbread Salad
- French DinnerSalad with Low-Fat Cottage Cheese Dressing
- Classic Spinach Salad with Bacon and Hard-Boiled Eggs
By adding taco seasoning to both the marinade and the dressing, this Flank Steak Salad is a family-pleasing meal with simple additions like Doritos.
- Flank Steak
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- Romaine Lettuce shredded
- Cherry Tomatoes halved
- Red pepper chopped
- Colby Jack or Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup Ranch Dressing
- Doritos crumbled (optional)
- Mix 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning, vegetable oil and lemon or lime juice; cover flank steak and marinate for 1 hour minimum.
- Grill steak to your liking; I recommend to a medium doneness.
- Let steak rest for 5 minutes before slicing into thin slices against the grain.
- Meanwhile, make dressing by mixing ranch dressing with 4 teaspoons taco seasoning.
- Assemble salad by mixing romaine, tomatoes, peppers and cheese; top with steak slices and drizzle with dressing.
Referral links are used in this post.