Try this Crock Pot French Dip Au Jus for some juicy, tender and cheesy beef sandwiches that the entire family will enjoy. This recipe can be made with a rump, sirloin or bottom round beef roast. Just look for one that is around three to four pounds and it should work just fine.
Crock Pot French Dip Au Jus
Barbara found this recipe in the Pot O’Gold cookbook from our Great-Aunt Gertie’s church out in Imogene, Iowa, and it did not disappoint. Adding the cheese and putting the sandwiches back under the broiler takes them from a good sandwich to a delicious sandwich.
You do have to do a bit of prep work before it is ready for the slow cooker but cooking the onions in the butter and mixing together the seasonings is totally worth it.
Do you need a tool to easily shred beef? Buy a pair or kitchen shears.
To make these sandwiches truly amazing, serve them with a side of Au Jus and everyone will enjoy soaking their sandwiches in the juices.
How to Make Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
Full recipe can be found below.
Lightly brown onions in a skillet with butter. Mix together soy sauce, garlic, gravy mix and water, and add the onions. Place roast in crock pot and add onion mixture on top. Cook on low for up to 10 hours. Once roast is cooked, shred the beef and add it back to the juices. Butter your choice of bread and place under the broiler until toasted. Assemble the sandwiches and place back under the broiler to melt the cheese if desired. Serve with a side of the au jus for dipping.
Side Dish Options
We love serving simple sides with these beefy sandwiches. Try our Spicy Roasted Zucchini, Easy Roasted Cauliflower or a simple Spinach Salad. Want something a bit more filling? Try our Cheesy Cabbage Casserole, Fresh Broccoli Casserole or Old-Fashioned Creamed Peas.
Try this Crock Pot French Dip Au Jus for some juicy, tender and cheesy beef sandwiches that the entire family will enjoy.
- 1 large sweet onion cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3-4 lb boneless beef roast
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry brown gravy mix
- 1 Tablespoon dry onion soup mix
- 5 cups water or beef broth
- Buns or French Rolls
- Shredded mozzarella provolone or Swiss cheese
- Heat butter in skillet; lightly brown onions that have been cut in 1/4-inch slices.
- Combine soy sauce, garlic, brown gravy mix, onion soup mix and water.
- Put roast in crock pot insert; add onions in butter and soy sauce mixture.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Shred the beef and add back to juices.
- Butter buns or french rolls, and broil until toasted.
- Place hot beef on buns, sprinkle with mozzarella, provolone or Swiss cheese. Broil until melted.
- Dip the sandwiches in the liquid remaining in the crock.
Referral links are used in this post.