Try this Crock Pot French Dip Au Jus for some juicy, tender and cheesy beef sandwiches that the entire family will enjoy.
Crock Pot French Dip Au Jus
This recipe can be made with a rump, sirloin or bottom round beef roast. Just look for one that is around three to four pounds and it should work just fine.
Barbara found this recipe in the Pot O’Gold cookbook from our Great-Aunt Gertie’s church out in Imogene, Iowa.
It did not disappoint. Adding the cheese and putting the sandwiches back under the broiler takes them from a good sandwich to a delicious sandwich.
You do have to do a bit of prep work before it is ready for the slow cooker but cooking the onions in the butter and mixing together the seasonings is totally worth it.
Do you need a tool to easily shred beef? Buy a pair or kitchen shears.
Be sure to dip out some of the Au Jus to dip the finished sandwiches in.
- 1 large sweet onion cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3-4 lb boneless beef roast
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dry brown gravy mix
- 1 Tablespoon dry onion soup mix
- 5 cups water or beef broth
- Buns or French Rolls
- Shredded mozzarella provolone or Swiss cheese
- Heat butter in skillet; lightly brown onions that have been cut in 1/4-inch slices.
- Combine soy sauce, garlic, brown gravy mix, onion soup mix and water.
- Put roast in crock pot insert; add onions in butter and soy sauce mixture.
- Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Shred the beef and add back to juices.
- Butter buns or french rolls, and broil until toasted.
- Place hot beef on buns, sprinkle with mozzarella, provolone or Swiss cheese. Broil until melted.
- Dip the sandwiches in the liquid remaining in the crock.
Referral links are used in this post.