Southwestern Three Bean Soup is a hearty soup with simple ingredients. The southwest flavors complement a combination of chili beans, black beans and white kidney beans. Make a huge pot of this and eat on it for the whole week.
Southwestern Three Bean Soup Recipe
This delicious southwest soup comes from a Book of Recipes compiled by Waynesburg Christian Church “Quailtown”. My sweet friend, Dee, gifted this cookbook to me for Christmas. She picked it up along the way over the years and knew I would enjoy flipping through it.
I was drawn to this recipe because it contains simple ingredients that my family enjoys – corn, smoked sausage, celery, onions, garlic, canned tomatoes and three types of beans (chili, black and white kidney). Put the together and what do you get?
Bippidi, boppiddi, boo The result is a meal that the whole family will eat!
This 3 bean soup recipe makes a large pot making it perfect to eat on all week long, and the flavors get better as it sits in the refrigerator.
- Smoked Sausage (Kielbasa)
- Large Onion
- Minced Garlic
- White kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Black beans, drained and rinsed
- Chili beans
- Corn, drained
- Canned diced tomatoes
How to Make Three Bean Soup
Step by Step Instructions
- In a large saucepan, add water, smoked sausage, onion, celery and garlic to a saucepan and gently simmer over medium heat until sausage is tender. Stir occasionally.
- To the saucepan, add the rest of the ingredients, and simmer until warmed through. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings.
Let leftovers cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container, and store in the fridge for up to a week.
For the full instructions for southwest bean soup, scroll to the bottom of this post.
- Try a turkey smoked sausage or kielbasa for a low fat version of Southwestern Bean Soup.
- Rinse the black beans so that you do not get a funky off-color to your soup.
- For a spicier 3 bean soup, use hot chili beans.
- Canned beans are already cooked, so you only need to simmer until the soup is warmed through.
- Use Great Northern Beans instead of white kidney beans if you choose.
- This one pan plan or one pot dinner is done in approximately 20 minutes.
- Love the flavor of this Southwest Bean Soup? Try some our other Tex/Mex recipes including Crock Pot Enchilada Meatloaf, Cheesy Mexican Chicken, Enchilada Biscuit Bake and Cheesy Taco Dip.
- Add any spices or herbs you want including chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano, etc.
- Swap in red onion for yellow or white onions. Or, use dried minced onion.
- Add your favorite vegetables such as a diced large carrot or red bell peppers.
- Instead of water, use chicken broth or vegetable broth for even more flavor.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime juice, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, avocado, sliced jalapeno and/or fresh cilantro.
Our Favorite Southwest-flavored Soups
Check out all of our favorite Southwest soups:
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Low Carb Mexican Soup
- White Chicken Crock Pot Chili
- Weight Watchers Green Bean Chili
Linking up to Meal Plan Monday.
What are the benefits of bean soup?
Beans are high in both protein and fiber. This means bean soup will fill you up, and keep you full longer. Plus, the fiber is great for your digestive system.
Southwestern Three Bean Soup
- 1 pound smoked sausage, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1-2 celery stalks, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces canned white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces canned chili beans
- 14 ounces canned corn, drained
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Add smoked sausage, onion, celery and garlic to a large soup pot or saucepan; add just enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer until the sausage is tender, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients; and simmer until warmed through.