Feel like pizza but don’t feel like takeout? This Pizza Dip is a great appetizer that can be customized with “topping” of your choice. Serve it with bread, crackers or chips.
This weekend a couple of my college gal pals and their daughters came over for a fun girls weekend.
We did some scrapbooking, took in a movie (Tangled in 3D, it was a great show), laughed until we hurt, and, of course, had a little something to eat and drink.
I took this opportunity to prepare my entry into Ott, A’s Iron Chef Challenge: Canned Tomatoes.
Jane, from Going Jane, just happened to have some cookbooks in her car – doesn’t everyone travel with cookbooks – and had flagged a recipe for Pizza Dip. We decided it would be the perfect dish to snack during an afternoon of scrapbooking.
I started out with my ingredients, including a couple of small cans of Red Gold tomato sauce. I didn’t have all the “toppings” so I improvised and left a few out. This dip is like pizza – your choice of toppings. The recipe called for pizza sauce but I used the tomato sauce and Italian Seasoning and made my own.
I also cut up some pepperoni. Next, spread the cream cheese into the bottom of my Pampered Chef round baking dish, but you can use a 9-inch pie plate too. Then I poured the sauce on top of the cream cheese and added the pepperoni. I decided to up the tomato factor by adding some Red Gold Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano.
Then I covered it in cheese – a mix of mozzarella and Parmesan – and put it into the oven.
While it was baking, I cut up part of a loaf of French bread and spread them on my Pampered Chef pizza stone. I wanted to jazz up the bread a bit so I brushed on some EVOO (olive oil) and sprinkled some Italian Seasoning on top. Then I cranked up the broiler and put them in the oven with the pizza dip.
It was a hit judging by the three batches of bread I had to fix!
How to Make Pizza Dip
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 14 oz. pizza sauce or tomato sauce (add your own seasoning
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper diced
- 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes drained
- 1/2 cup pepperoni chopped
- 2 1/4 oz sliced olives optional
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 green onions chopped
- Spread cream cheese in bottom of a 9-inch pie plate; spread pizza sauce over cream cheese.
- Sprinkle diced tomatoes, bell pepper, pepperoni, and olives over sauce.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 or 12 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Serve warm with corn chips or French bread or whatever you want!