These French Onion Joes are an easy alternative to traditional sloppy joes without the tomatoes. With just four ingredients, this loose meat sandwich is quick dinner option. Using a can of condensed French Onion soup, these ground beef sandwiches can be on the table in less than 20 minutes.
French Onion Sloppy Joes
I love meals that are made with ground beef because they are kid-friendly and husband-friendly, and they typically go together easily. Ground beef is a versatile protein and it is budget-friendly. We love that you can really stretch a pound of ground beef to serve a crowd. You can even brown up ground beef, drain, and freeze for even quicker meals.
It’s no secret, our family is crazy for Sloppy Joes. We love Easy Sloppy Joes, Classic Sloppy Joes, and we use our leftovers for Sloppy Joe Cups. There’s something about these saucy sandwich that we go nuts over.
French Onion Loose Meat Sandwiches
We were so excited when a co-worker of mine shared a new version of “joes” with us. This is her mom’s version of sloppy joe. It’s nice to have a version for those who have aversions to tomatoes which are found in traditional sloppy joes. These are really similar to the classic Iowa Maid-Rites.
- Ground beef
- Condensed French Onion Soup
- Salt and Pepper
This skillet ground beef dish is always a hit when we make it. We have even made it into French Onion Joe Sliders where we spread it Hawaiian rolls, add cheese and cover with a delicious butter drizzle before baking.
We love using condensed French Onion soup…so much that we have an entire post highlighting all of our dishes made with canned French Onion Soup.
If you want a more traditional loose meat sandwich, check out our Stroganoff Loose Meat Sandwiches.
How to Make French Onion Joes
Step By Step Instructions
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet and drain off any excess grease.
- Mix water with flour and stir it with the meat and condensed French Onion Soup in the skillet.
- Let the meat mixture simmer over medium heat until thickened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper, and serve on buns. Optional toppings include sliced Colby cheese, mustard or pickles.
Full recipe and ingredient list for loose meat sandwiches is at the bottom of this post.
Check out some of our other favorite ground beef meals, including Aunt Shannon’s Lasagna, Cheeseburger Quiche, Cheeseburger Turnovers and Crock Pot Ground Beef Acapulco Enchiladas. Want even more ground beef recipes? 8 Great Ground Beef Recipes over at Recipes the Crock!
We are linking up to Weekend Potluck. Check out all the great recipes there!
French Onion Joes
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 10.5 oz. condensed French onion soup
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown ground beef in a skillet; drain excess grease.
- In a bowl, mix water and flour together until smooth.
- Add cooked ground beef, french onion soup, and water/flour mixture back to the skillet. Simmer over medium heat until thickened.
- Serve on buns. Optional toppings include Colby cheese, mustard or pickles.
- Using a can of condensed French Onion soup, these ground beef sandwiches can be on the table in less than 20 minutes.
- I love meals that are made with ground beef because they are kid-friendly and husband-friendly, and they typically go together easily. You can even brown up ground beef, drain, and freeze for even quicker meals.
- It’s no secret, our family is crazy for Sloppy Joes. We love Easy Sloppy Joes, Classic Sloppy Joes, and we use our leftovers for Sloppy Joe Cups. There’s something about these saucy sandwich that we go nuts over.