Egg in a Basket is a simple, yet delicious breakfast dish that you can have on the table in less than 10 minutes. A variation of the classic British dish – toad in the hole – this recipe features just toast and a runny fried egg.
The butter and olive oil together toasts the bread to a delicious golden brown, and the toasted middle piece is perfect for dipping in the egg.
This easy egg dish can be made for dinner for a quick weeknight meal. Sometimes we want our eggs a bit fancier, so we make our Baked Eggs and Asparagus dish.
If the kids turn their noses up at runny eggs, go ahead and break the yolks. If they still complain, fix them scrambled eggs in the microwave while making yourself this dish. Here are directions from Beyer Beware.
Egg in a Basket
This is Kevin’s favorite breakfast and we started making it together when we were first married. Growing up, we only ate eggs over hard or scrambled at our house. This is the recipe that turned me on to runny eggs, and I didn’t know what I was missing!
We call this recipe Toad in the Hole in our house but when I went to share it on the blog, I realized it’s more of an Egg in a Basket! A classic Toad in the Hole breakfast features sausage baked within a Yorkshire pudding but many call a sunny side egg cooked within a piece of toast by the same name.
Have some fun with the shape of the hole in the bread by using different shaped cookie cutters like a heart or a flower. Don’t have cookie cutters? Use a drinking glass to make the hole.
How to Make Eggs in a Basket on a Griddle or in a Skillet
Heat the butter and olive oil in a skillet or on a griddle over medium to high heat. Cut a hole in the middle of a piece of bread and butter the inner piece of bread on both sides and place in skillet. Place the outer piece of bread in the skillet and crack an egg in the middle. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until bottom of bread is browned and flip. Cook for another 30 seconds.
Full recipe is at the bottom of this post.
Other Breakfast Recipes
- Egg & Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Easy Swedish Oatmeal Pancakes
- Cheesy Egg Casserole
- Baked Oatmeal
- Make-Ahead Ham and Cheese Quiche
Note: We use referral links to products we use and think you might enjoy too.
Linking up to Weekend Potluck!
Egg in a Basket is a simple, yet delicious breakfast dish that you can have on the table in less than 10 minutes. A variation of the classic British dish - toad in the hole - this one features just toast and a runny fried egg.
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 eggs or however many you want to make
- 4 slices bread or however many you want to make
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium/high heat.
- Add butter and olive oil; heat until butter is melted, and it starts to sizzle.
Use a cookie cutter (glass or mason jar band works too) to cut a hole in the bread.
- Put the outer bread pieces on the griddle. Crack an egg in the center, ensuring the yolk doesn't break. Butter the bread cirlces and add to the griddle. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for approximately 1 minute or until bottom of bread gets toasted.
- Before flipping, you can drizzle the top with additional olive oil if desired.
- Flip and cook for 30 seconds to a minute of until the desired doneness.
- To eat, dip the toasted bread circles into the runny eggs.