Our version of homemade Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole is without canned soup, sour cream and cream. Instead, the cheesy sauce is made from milk, chicken broth and shredded Parmesan. I guess you could say this is just like Grandma might make back in her day.
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole Recipe:
Have you ever tried a tetrazzini casserole with chicken, shrimp or turkey? It’s consists of a cheesy, creamy sauce that is full of some type of meat or seafood and also mushrooms or peas. Why is it called tetrazzini? Supposedly, this dish was created by an Italian opera star whose last name was Tetrazzini.
I just so happened to have a big container of leftover poached, shredded chicken in the fridge when I stumbled upon this easy chicken tetrazzini recipe in a collection of recipes from the Waynesburg Church.
As I was scrolling through the rest of the ingredients, I was pleased to find that I had everything that this chicken tetrazzini casserole called for on hand.
- Wide Egg Noodles
- Diced Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Canned Mushrooms
- Parmesan Cheese
- Butter Crackers
I love that this version can be called chicken tetrazzini without soup, chicken tetrazzini with canned soup, chicken tetrazzini without sour cream, chicken tetrazzini with heavy cream. It checks all those boxes. In my mind, I picture Grandma making this exact chicken tetrazzini recipe.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Tetrazzini:
- Saute diced peppers in butter; add flour and stir.
- Slowly add milk and chicken broth while stirring constantly until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add cheese, mushrooms and chicken and stir until the cheese melts.
- Stir in cooked noodles until combined.
- Pour into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with crushed butter crackers.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for 10-20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
- Let sit 10 minutes to set up before serving.
For the full instructions for easy chicken tetrazzini without canned soup, scroll to the bottom of this post .
Notes about Chicken Tetrazzini without sour cream:
- Our recipes calls for wide egg noodles. Substitute cooked spaghetti or linguine if desired.
- Par-boil the noodles (don’t cook completely) because they will finish cooking in the oven.
- Want to make a whole chicken in the slow cooker so you have homemade chicken on hand? Try this recipe.
- Red, yellow or green peppers can be used, or leave them out if desired.
- Mushrooms are optional or use fresh mushrooms sauteed in butter.
- Add green peas for some added nutrients. Use frozen, and add with the chicken, mushrooms and cheese.
- Substitute crushed crackers with bread crumbs or crushed potato chips.
- Make this ahead and freeze. Just be sure to leave off the crushed butter crackers before freezing. Add them right before cooking.
- This casserole reminds me of my Mom’s Tuna Noodle Casserole. Try it!
Our Family Favorite Casserole Recipes
Looking for some more family-favorite casseroles? Try some of our favorites:
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1/2 pound wide egg noodles, par-cooked
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 pepper, diced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 sleeve butter crackers, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, saute peppers in butter until soft; add flour and stir.
- Slowly add milk and chicken broth, stirring constantly over medium high heat until it starts to lightly thicken.
- Add cheese, mushrooms and chicken, and stir until the cheese is melted and smooth.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Stir in partially cooked noodles; pour into prepared baking dish. Top with crushed crackers.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving to set up.