These Tuna Salad Coneys take a classic we all know and turn it into a hot, cheesy sandwich that is full of flavor. Make up the tuna salad ahead of time or even freeze the unheated sandwiches in foil and pull out for a quick weeknight meal.
Tuna salad is one of those classic dishes that everyone’s mom made while growing up. And everyone’s mom made theirs differently and usually without a recipe. I always thought it was magical when our mom or grandmas just put together ingredients and created amazing meals.
This Tuna Salad Coneys recipe is from 100 Years of Good Cooking, Minnesota Centennial Cookbook. This book is full of great recipes. Barbara whipped these up for lunch on a Friday during Lent and says the flavor is phenomenal. The tuna salad could easily be made ahead and kept in the fridge until you are ready to use.
Barbara made up a couple extra sandwiches for later. She even buttered the buns, filled them with tuna salad, wrapped the sandwiches individually in foil and then put them in a storage bag. She threw them into the freezer for another quick meal down the road.
Tuna Salad Coneys
Be sure to drain the tuna before flaking it and adding to the rest of the ingredients.
One of our favorite kitchen tips is to hard boil extra eggs (you need 3 for this recipe) to have as snacks, use on salads or in other recipes later in the week.
- 1 cup American cheese Velveeta, cubed
- 3 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 1 5 oz. can tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 2 Tablespoons green pepper chopped
- 2 Tablespoons onion chopped
- 2 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Hot dog or Hoagie Buns buttered
- Lightly mix together all ingredients except for Hoagie Buns.
- Butter the inside of buns, fill with tuna salad.
- Wrap each sandwich individually in aluminum foil.
- Heat on a cookie sheet for 30 minutes in a 250 degree F oven.
- These will fill 4-6 Hoagie buns depending on how much tuna salad you put in the buns or you can use a whole pack of hot dog buns.
Note: This post contains affiliate links. We earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links.
Linking up to Weekend Potluck.