This Rhubarb Muffins recipe is quick and easy to make. With both whole wheat and all-purpose flour, these rhubarb-applesauce muffins are perfect for breakfast or brunch with a cup of coffee. The kids can help mix together the batter and gobble these muffins up with a big glass of milk.
She woke up one Sunday morning and decided to find a new rhubarb recipe. It must have been divine intervention from our Grandma or Great Aunt Gertie, because Barbara’s favorite cookbook – Pot O’Gold (a gift from Aunt Gertie to our Grandma) – was open to a page with these Rhubarb-Applesauce Muffins.
Barbara always has applesauce on hand for her three kids. She enlisted the help of her 7-year-old daughter to help make these muffins.
They had so much fun. Her daughter cracked the eggs, and they worked on fractions while measuring the wet ingredients, and she learned the importance of folding in ingredients gently for an airy muffin. It is safe to say that they will be making these again.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
- Beat together eggs, brown sugar, applesauce, and oil until smooth.
- Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture; stir until just moistened.
- Fold in rhubarb.
- Prepare muffin tins with liners or spray well with nonstick spray.
- Fill muffin tins two-thirds (2/3) full of batter.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar for the topping. Sprinkle each muffin with the topping mix.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Linking up to Weekend Potluck!