Old Fashioned Apple Pudding cake is a easy, moist cinnamon apple cake that tastes great any time of day and any day of the week. The secret to this moist cake is grated apples, and the amazing flavor comes from cinnamon, nutmeg and chopped nuts.
Old Fashioned Apple Pudding Cake Recipe:
Fall is my favorite. I love the feel of the crisp air, pulling out my favorite sweaters and boots, combine and tractor rides and most of all everything apple.
From the looks of all my vintage cookbooks, I’m not the only one who feels this way. I’ve been on a mission to try every apple recipe I come across in my old church and extension homemaker cookbooks.
This particular recipe is originally called baked apple pudding, but it is more like a cake. The recipe calls for peeled, grated apples which blend into the batter to make it extra moist. Cinnamon and nutmeg perfectly complement the apples, and chopped nuts give the spiced apple cake amazing texture. My husband gave this apple pudding cake two thumbs up.
Since I had loads of apple desserts hanging around, I stored this cake in the
ice box refrigerator, and ate on it all week. I liked it cold just as much as I did hot from the oven.
How to Make Cinnamon Apple Cake:
For the full recipe for moist apple cake, scroll to the bottom of this post.
- Cream margarine, sugar and egg until light and creamy; gradually add dry ingredients (flour, soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon).
- Stir in vanilla, apples and nuts.
- Pour into an ungreased 8×8 inch baking dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cold, topped with whipped topping or ice cream.
Notes About Old Fashioned Apple Pudding Cake:
- This makes a moist, apple cake. The spices make it a delicious cinnamon apple cake.
- You can eat this apple pudding cake warm with ice cream, or it’s just as amazing served cold from the refrigerator 5 days later.
- Swap butter for margarine if desired.
- Peel and grate the apples before adding to the batter.
- There’s no need to grease the baking dish.
More Apple Recipes
Old Fashioned Apple Pudding Cake
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour, unsifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups apple, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cups chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together margarine, sugar and egg.
- Gradually add dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg - to wet ingredients. Mix until incorporated.
- Stir in vanilla, grated apples and chopped nuts.
- Pour into an ungreased 8x8 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve hot or cold!