Sweet and Saltines Candy is one of those treats that you won’t be able to stop at just one. Made with graham crackers, butter, brown sugar and chocolate chips, this sweet and salty candy is delicious.
How to Make Sweet and Saltines Candy
First, start by lining a large jellyroll pan with foil and lining up your saltines. You can also substitute graham crackers for a sweeter treat. I made a pan of each!
Once your pans are ready, melt butter and light brown sugar together in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir constantly.
Bring the butter and brown sugar mixture to a boil and incorporate fully.
Pour mixture over the crackers and spread evenly with a spatula. This sweet and saltines candy is easy but it is messy so be ready for some sticky fingers and utensils!
Place the pan in the preheated oven for 4 to 5 minutes. Watch carefully. Remove when the mixture just start to bubble. Take out of the oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top evenly.
Once the chocolate chips start to melt, use a knife or icing spatula to spread the chocolate chips evenly. Pop the pan of sweet and saltines candy in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes until completely cool and chocolate has set. Break apart and enjoy!
I cut mine in smaller pieces because I had small containers to put them in…and they are rich so a small bite is just right, in my opinion!
Easy Homemade Candy Recipes
We love making homemade treats to not only enjoy ourselves but also give as gifts all yearlong. We have several recipes on the blog for easy-to-make candies and cookies perfect for gift giving.
Sweet and Saltines Candy
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Line a large jellyroll pan with aluminum foil and the saltine crackers.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar together and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour over the crackers, covering them evenly.
- Put the jellyroll pan into the oven and watch closely. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes, or until just bubbly.
- Remove pan from the oven and pour the chocolate chips over the crackers. When the chips melt a bit, spread them over the crackers with a knife.
- Transfer the pan to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until completely cold. They will form one big sheet. Break up into pieces. Store in an airtight container.
- Substitute graham crackers for the saltines for a sweeter snack.
- Use 1 stick of butter instead of 2 for a crunchier, saltier cracker.
- Use anywhere from 35 to 45 saltine crackers, depending on the size of your pan.
- Please note that carb counts, calorie counts and nutritional information can vary greatly depending on the products you use. The nutritional information below is auto-calculated and should NOT be used for specific dietary needs.
Recipe found at: http://blog.al.com/bn/2010/04/recipes_some_of_trisha_yearwoo.html