Creamed Chipped Beef Gravy (SOS)
This Creamed Chipped Beef Gravy is the fancy version of that old time classic recipe from your past. Our version is upgraded with mushrooms, sour cream, cheddar cheese and parsley for a new spin on an old favorite.
Servings: 6 people
- 6 ounces chipped beef
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces canned mushrooms, drained
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
Cut dried beef into small pieces.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and cook until softened.
Add flour and stir; cook for 30 seconds.
Add milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
Add sour cream, beef, mushrooms, cheese and parsely. Heat until warmed through.
Serve over toast or cooked pasta.
- This is a new spin on classic chipped beef gravy.
- Chipped beef is a dried beef that is jarred and found in the pantry staples at the grocery store.
- Often times, I swap out the packets of beef from the refrigerated section for the jarred dried beef. The packets aren't quite as salty, so you may have to adjust the salt levels if you make this substitution.
- Fancy Shit on a Shingle contains drained canned mushrooms. Not a mushroom fan, go ahead and leave them out.
- Use any type of milk you have in the refrigerator, but whole or 2% milk will result in a thicker chipped beef gravy.
- Traditionally, chipped beef gravy SOS is served over toast, but this version is fancy enough to serve over cooked pasta such as macaroni or shells.
- Does your family dig recipes that involve gravy? Try 12 Minute Old Fashioned Ham Steak and Sunday Church Beef Tips.