When you need a quick side dish for dinner, try this Instant Pot Low-Carb Mashed Cauliflower in place of a potato side dish. One head of cauliflower yields four small servings (or two large servings) but this recipe is easily doubled to make a family-sized side dish.
Oh, how we love potatoes in our family, especially mashed potatoes. We are also looking at ways to go lower carb when we can. One of the most missed foods on a low carb or keto diet is, of course, potatoes.
So we decided to try our hand out turning cauliflower into an acceptable substitute for potatoes in our favorite, go-to dish – mashed potatoes. We think we did much better than just “acceptable” with this version make in our electric pressure cooker!
Instant Pot Low-Carb Mashed Cauliflower
Here is a quick recipe for Low-Carb Mashed Cauliflower in the Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) that will make you think you are eating mashed potatoes.
Cauliflower only has 2.9 net carbs per cup, and it is high in fiber. That’s a double win.
This recipe uses one head of cauliflower which makes enough for four small servings. If you want to serve a large family or make some for later, go ahead and double.
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower in the Instant Pot
- Place chicken broth and chopped cauliflower in the insert of your electric pressure cooker.
- Cook at high pressure for 3 minutes, then use the quick pressure release.
- Remove lid and switch to saute mode.
- Add rest of the ingredients to the cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour all ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth.
Full recipe is at the bottom of the page.
Want to see some of our favorite pantry essentials and kitchen gadgets (like which Instant Pot we use)? Visit our Amazon Store.
When you need a quick side dish for dinner, try this Instant Pot Low-Carb Mashed Cauliflower in place of a potato side dish.
- 1 head cauliflower washed and cut into large florets
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Add chicken broth and cauliflower florets to the insert for your electric pressure cooker or Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Use the quick pressure release. (It is best to check the manual for your cooker to see what the manufacturer recommends for cauliflower.)
- Remove the lid, and turn pressure cooker to Saute mode.
- Add olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until the garlic becomes fragrant. (Be careful not to burn garlic.)
- Pour cauliflower into a food processor and blend until pureed and smooth. (Additional chicken broth or olive oil can be added if a creamier texture is desired)