Spanish Chicken and Rice
Spanish Chicken and Rice is a new spin on classic baked chicken and rice casserole. This new and improved version contains peppers and tomatoes and is seasoned up with chili powder for some mild spice. This one dish dinner will be a new favorite in your weeknight rotation.
- 6-8 pieces chicken, skin on (seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1-2 peppers (any color), diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup white rice (NOT INSTANT)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1-2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Heat butter in a large skillet, and brown chicken and diced onion and peppers until the chicken is golden brown.
Meanwhile, pour rice, water and tomatoes into a rectangle baking dish.
Add chicken and sauteed vegetables over top the rice mixture and then sprinkle with chili powder and additional salt.
Bake covered at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes; remove the foil and increase the temperature to 450 degrees F. Continue baking until rice is tender, and chicken is cooked completely and is golden brown.
- For the chicken, you have many options. Use a frying chicken that has been cut up in pieces, or use your favorite cut---thighs, breasts, legs, etc. I used all chicken legs because that's what my family loves.
- I recommend using skin-on chicken. This will keep the chicken moist while cooking and prevent a dry Spanish chicken and rice casserole.
- Use regular white rice. Do not use Instant Rice. The amount of water is not the same.
- Want a time-saving tip for Spanish rice and chicken? Instead of using an onion and pepper that you have to dice yourself, buy a bag of frozen peppers and onions. I had a 1 pound bag in the freezer that I let thaw out, and then drained. It worked great!
- The amount of chili powder for this best chicken and rice is adjustable. My family isn't big on spice or heat so I used 2 teaspoons, but the original recipe calls for 1 - 2 Tablespoons.
- I love casseroles! Some of my favorites are Mom's Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole, 4 Ingredient Fresh Broccoli Casserole, French Onion Rice Casserole, and Loaded Breakfast Casserole.
Calories: 203kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 488mg | Potassium: 192mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 745IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg