Creamed Peas with Canned Peas
Creamed Peas using Canned Peas may not be fancy, but it's fast, economical, easy, and my kids love them. All it takes is a can of green peas, butter, flour, milk, salt and pepper.
Servings: 4 people
- 15 ounces canned peas, do not drain
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Heat undrained peas in a small saucepan.
In a second small saucepan; melt butter. Add flour and whisk for 30 seconds.
Add milk to the butter mixture, stirring over medium heat until thickened.
Pour the mixture into the peas, and continue to cook until thickened to your desired consistency. Add salt and black pepper, and stir before serving.
- This is Mom's version of creamed peas. While it uses canned peas, I also love my other version that uses frozen peas. You can find that recipe here.
- Be sure to leave the peas undrained; you'll need the juice for the recipe.
- I use two small saucepans for this recipe, while my mom uses a skillet instead. You can use whatever is readily available.
- This makes enough for 2-4 people, so double or triple up the recipe if needed.
- Be sure to season with salt and black pepper.
- Love peas? Try our Bacon Pea Salad, Old Fashioned Pea Salad, Crunchy Ranch Pea Salad and Creamy Dill Pea Salad.
Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 17mg | Sodium: 399mg | Potassium: 133mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1825IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 38mg | Iron: 2mg