Grandma's Easy Apple Crisp
Grandma's Easy Apple Crisp recipe is a traditional, old fashioned apple crisp without oats. The melt-in-your-mouth topping screams cinnamon and butter and will have your family begging for more.
- 4 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Arrange peeled and sliced apples in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Combine water and cinnamon, and pour over apple slices.
Work together flour, sugar and butter until it becomes crumbly.
Sprinkle mixture over apples.
Bake until golden brown, approximately 35-40 minutes.
- You can use a metal 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 inch pan or go old fashioned and use a 1 1/2 or 2 quart Pyrex or Corning Ware dish. Any of those will work. Just watch the cooking time. This delicious apple crisp will cook faster in a larger pan because it's spread thinner.
- Grandma says margarine can be used instead of butter.
- To make the crumbly topping for this old fashioned apple crisp, use two forks, a pastry blender or even your clean hands. Work it until it resembles course crumbs.
- This recipe inspired us to make a divine cherry version. Try it! A peach version would be good too.
- Should you should peel your apples first before making this crisp? Not necessarily. If you are in a hurry, then you could leave the peels on; however, this does change the texture of the crisp. If you have time, go ahead and peel them.
- Grandma would say to use whatever apples you have on hand for this easy apple crisp recipe. We agree!
Calories: 239kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 340mg | Potassium: 100mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 27g | Vitamin A: 279IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg